How do you like your FD-8?

Crayphish: sorry about the late response, I changed my settings recently so I don't have as many days showing on my screen. Yeah, you can swap for a large CAPACITY hard drive, but, as mentioned, it has to be a 2.5" drive, so it is a bit of money. My understanding is that it is a matter of just onscrewing the original hard drive.

Blender: No, there are no internal effects. As for on board mixing, the FD-8 has a built in mixer. It doesn't have "virtual tracks" that you can blend to make the perfect track. But the pro here is that you have a less expensive unit dedicated soley to recording. If you look at the Roland forum you will find people still use off board preamps for mics, off board compressors, etc. Seems to me the only perfect recording system out there is somebody elses big-ass recording studio. Otherwise there is going to be a lot of give and take. Get all the opinions you want here, but go out there and listen to the machines with your own ears whenever possible.

Peace, Jim

it is my opinion that you get what you put in to the fd8. if you use a good mic and mic pre decent effects you will get amazing results. forget about recording live drums. i recorded vocals and acoustic guitar, compressed the hell out of the vocal, and it impressed some engineers over at studio 4 (former Ruffhouse Records studio). i find editing to be difficult and the manual does no help me at all. that is why i started using a mac instead.

Back