Homemade pop-filter no longer works

kdgospel

Now that I have my new condenser and mixer my homemade pop filter (clothes hanger and pantyhose) no longer works. It worked fine on my dynamic mic, but this condenser is still picking up pops even with the filter. I may have it too close. Are the pop filters you buy better? The ones I've seen in studios seem to have a similar material as pantyhose, but with a more fancy hoop. Anyone have any advice?

You need to up the thickness a little.Move on up to a sock.........works great for me with condensor mics.

Kramer said:
You need to up the thickness a little.Move on up to a sock.........works great for me with condensor mics.

Thanks Kramer. Now that you mention socks I think I have the perfect ones. They are some of those nylon dress socks and they are clean.

But what am I supposed to do with this ugly pair of yellow socks?

Im sure the sock does take away a little bit of the high end,but thats a good thing in my case since I have a problem with too much high end sibilance on my voice.LOL.

As cheap as these things are going for now,there really is no excuse for not having a "real" pop filter on hand.

Kramer, that's why I posted the link. These things are too cheap to by messing around with pantyhose and a coat hanger. Also, a little mic technique goes a long way when trying to eliminate pops and sibilance. Gospel's a good singer, he deserves the best he can get.

kdgospel said:
Thanks Kramer. Now that you mention socks I think I have the perfect ones. They are some of those nylon dress socks and they are clean.

ZAT YOU GOSPEL? Why the name change? One suggestion on the pop filter... if the clean sock doesn't work, try wearin it a few days. That will keep you far enough away from the mic so that the pops won't get picked up!

bd

Try backing off, say 6 to 12 inches, putting the pop filter halfway between you and the mike.

Try putting the mike at the level of your nose, not your mouth.

Sing across the mike, not straight at it.

Even so, condensors (the ones I've used) are VERY sensitive to p's popping. When you set up to check your level, just say peter piper picked a peck of... Or, better, just say 'p' over and over to make sure you're all set before strating a track. A little movement goes a long way.

bdbdbuck said:
ZAT YOU GOSPEL? Why the name change? One suggestion on the pop filter... if the clean sock doesn't work, try wearin it a few days. That will keep you far enough away from the mic so that the pops won't get picked up!

bd

Zat's me!
Somewhere along the line I changed the settings in my McAfee Internet Security and everything got deleted. I think the cookies and stuff? I forgot my password and when I entered my email it said that it didn't recognize it? So I just re-registered. Now everyone thinks I'm a newbie again. I guess I still am a newbie, but I have graduated to senior newbie.

I think I'll just order a "real" pop filter. I just wish I would have thought about it when I ordered the new mic and mixer and I wouldn't have had to pay shipping.

Two things: As one who pops incessantly, and has had to redo takes on voiceovers more times than I care to admit, I've noticed about myself that drier lips makes for less pop, also if you pronounce the 'p' with more of the inner part of your lips, not the outer part, there's less popping.

#3 Gospel, Send me a CD. I'd love to hear one. You should have my address...

billisa said:
Two things: As one who pops incessantly, and has had to redo takes on voiceovers more times than I care to admit, I've noticed about myself that drier lips makes for less pop, also if you pronounce the 'p' with more of the inner part of your lips, not the outer part, there's less popping.

#3 Gospel, Send me a CD. I'd love to hear one. You should have my address...

I will send you one as soon as I can. I'm right in the middle of recording a contemporary one. Gotta do the vocals over on a few songs now that I've got the new mic and mixer.

I use a double thickness of hose with a flexible aluminum ground wire for the frame. I don't stretch it out much. Works good w/ dynamic, not sure about condensor tho. pic later...

Back