FD-4 & Ultra SCSI

hallway9

Hello everyone. After reading some of your posts I've decided to get an ORB 2.2Gig drive for my FD-4 however I wonder if SCSI and ultra SCSI are the same. (I'm so clueless I don't even know if this is a dumb question!)
Thanks

I can't really answer your answer since I don't really know. I THINK ultra is just faster, but if it is in series with a non ultra SCSI it clocks at the speed of the slowest device. But who knows. What I can tell you is that the Orb has performed flawlessly for me. I am truly impressed. You will need a cable adaptor (the Orb cable is a mini50/mini50 pin cable) or a mini50/25 pin cable (@$10 for 3 feet). Also, make sure when you get your Orb, you select an ID setting other than 6--this is the backup ID for the FD-4. Any other setting works for the current drive setting. You change the setting with a small philips screwdriver and it is on the bottom of the Orb drive. My Orb was set at 6 and I couldn't get it to work for me for about 20 minutes. the info on the ID setting was on the manual addmendment page and not actually in the book so I freaked at first. Also know that you will need to format the disc and that will take about 2 hours. Big drive--long format time.

Peace, Jim

Back