Anyone ever replaced transport buttons on Fostex VF-08?

InterMoon

Hi there!

So... I had a Fostex VF-08 sitting around doing nothing for, oh - 10 years - cause the play button went and I'd already started using Cubase by then.
Now I want to get the work from the drive so its all backed up and safe.
Ordered the transport button strip and carefully opened the machine to have little look.
The buttons are behind a panel above the scsi adapter bay, and ribbons/wires for the display and toggle and who knows what else are nicely bundled beside it.
I'd have to carefully lift the top of the unit and hold it open like a laptop opens (if you get me) and keep it there while i unscrew the panel to get at the transport buttons... I think!!

Anyways, not used to opening appliances. This is an OLD machine and can find no youtube vids or tutorials and have had as little luck finding any forums where this is discussed. Don't really wanna accidentally scrub the drive or damage the unit...
Thought i'd see if anyone here has any experience with replacing buttons on this model, or the vf-16 or vf-80??

Sorry if my description is vague but at this side of things, i know very very little.
Many thanks in advance kind folks!!

btw, noticed some criticism of the fostex vf-08 on many forums i visited, apart from the play button breaking couple of times, this was an amazing bit of gear, when i booted it up after 10 years and it still worked, i was taken aback!

Back