lowering volume on clips

deejuks2

How do you lower the volume of just a section of a track? say, a 1 second section of a track where i have a "pop"? can't seem to figure it out

"Split" that part from the rest of the track by placing the cursor at the beginning of the section you want to lower and hitting the "S" key, and then doing the same thing at the end of that part. Then you place your mouse at the top of the part you want to lower and move it downwards. It will tell you how many db's under 0db you're moving it.

If it's a "pop" that you want to get rid of, then you might be better off zeroing in on that part, doing the same splits that I mentioned, but then instead of lowering it, delete it completely.

You could also use automation:
Click the offending track.
Press 'v' to bring up the automation channel.
Shift click in there to create points, and move them around to get the volume right.

Caveat:If you add automation to a track and then move media from that track to somewhere else, the automation may or may not move with it. I've found the results unpredictable.

I once had to work with a guide vocal track that had lots of pops on the plosives. It was a temporary track to give some structure to the piece.

But because I had to develop an arrangement around this track, the pops were really annoying.

Fortunately, I was able to find a 'p' and 'b' that didn't pop. I zoomed right in on these, copied them, then pasted them over the offending ones. It was a quick and nasty bit of micro surgery, but it worked.

Back