Why are my tracks moving???

formerlyfzfile

Last night I was editing some tracks transferred from 4trk masters and some of the tracks had multiple parts.

So after cleaning and silencing I wanted to put each part on its own track.........but the 1st parts (where the part had started from the beginning) would move around to the middle of the song after I would COPY and CUT out the later sections.

After I would switch back into the Multi-Session the beginning parts would NOT start from the beginning.

Not a big deal to slide back because I didn't shorten the beginning but WHY??????

-mike

If I understand what you're saying (which is always iffy with me), then here's the deal: When you're in EDIT mode, and you do the "INSERT IN MULTITRACK" thing to whatever wave you're working on, it will place the track wherever the scrollbar happens to be in the multisession. In other words, you have to go into the multitrack session and make sure that the scrollbar is at the very beginning of the song (i.e., hit rewind button on far left) if that's where you want the wave to end up.

I probably totally missed the question, lol.

I think you got it but......

....this is the chain of events.

1. Record 4 tracks in CEP (in Multitrack mode) from Tascam 424 tape outs>Delta44.

2. Double click on track 1 to clean it up which pops track one into Edit mode.

3. De-noise and make silent parts necessary.

4. Click back into Multitrack from toggle button on top left.

No problem so far.

But if I cut part of the track out at step 3 and then toggle back....it moves the track....

...ohhhhhhh wait a minute....I think I get it.

When I have cut out parts I moved the "cursor" or "blinking dotted line" as I like to call it to somewhere in the middle of the track......and without rewinding it placed the file FROM the beginning of the cusor back in multitrack.

I think that makes sense. I will test the theory tomorrow.

It really should "auto-move" anything though. Thats rather inconveinient.

thanks

-mike

I think you got it but......

1. Record 4 tracks in CEP (in Multitrack mode) from Tascam 424 tape outs>Delta44.

No problem so far.

But if I cut part of the track out at step 3 and then toggle back....it moves the track....

When I have cut out parts I moved the scrollbar to somewhere in the middle of the track......and without rewinding it placed the file FROM the beginning of the scrollbar back in multitrack.

It really should NOT "auto-move" anything though. Thats rather inconveinient.

thanks

-mike

Yep if you cut parts in the edit mode it will cut it not silence it.

So you can either:
1) highlight the section and go to Effects-->Silence
This will just silence the selection without cutting it out of the file.

or

2) In multitrack mode highlight the section and just press delete
This will only delete the section and not bring the otherside foward. It will also only affect the file as it's being played in multitrack view. It won't affect the original file.

3) In multitrack mode use the volume envelopes to turn down the parts you want to silence.
Again this only affects what's being played back in multitrack not the file.

Tukkis:)

Re: I think you got it but......

formerlyfzfile said:

No problem so far.

When I have cut out parts I moved the scrollbar to somewhere in the middle of the track......and without rewinding it placed the file FROM the beginning of the scrollbar back in multitrack.

It really should NOT "auto-move" anything though. Thats rather inconveinient.

thanks

-mike

mike....you should bring the tracks in to cool edit then do a loop duplicate x 1 for every track, then make each dupe a unique copy....this allows you to work on the dupe and not screw up the original...THEN go into wav editing and work on the dupe.....

Once you are done editing...do a "save as" and re-name the track in your project's folder......THEN change to multitrack view...
then mute the original track or delete it if you are happy with your edits...then do a save session and you are done...

and yes....when you insert a wav file into CEP it will start wherever the little dotted line is.......it is doing it because that is where you left it.....you need to bring the dotted line thingy to the beginning if you want it to start from the beginning...

Take it easy,
Joe

ssssoooooo... I missed the problem, right? Man, if I were any dumber, I'd have to ride the short bus to work.

dobro said:
Now, would that be a bus that's short up and down or short back to front?
Quit asking me questions... as you can see, I don't do well with them, and my brain is about to explode. Do you want my exploding head on your conscience?...

Would that be......

....exploding up through the top or out the back.......or will just "toothpaste" out the ears???????

.....just wondering :).

But actually you did not completely miss the problem....I missed the real answer.

-mike

Back