Syncing Record

Dexter411

Hi guys,

Here's my situation: Yesterday, I decided to finally use my old copy of Cool Edit Pro to mix a song I created on my Fostex VF80. I wanted to transfer each track (manually) from the recorder to Cool Edit Pro. Since the recorder only has analog outs, I basically plugged the VF80 into my soundcard and recorded the tracks separately into CEP. After this happened, I ended up with 8 tracks of unsynchronized audio.

My question is, is it possible to set up Cool Edit Pro to start recording a track as soon as ANY sound or signal is detected in the sound card's line in?

Thanks

Short answer no

Have you tried lining up the very first note of each of the tracks?

Tukkis

You can do it like this. Take something like a drum machine and patch it to all eight tracks. Enable record on all eight and record a couple of clicks on all eight just before the beginning of the tune. When you do the analog tranfer and you have all the tracks in CEP, alls you have to do is line up the clicks (zoom in on them and its VERY easy to do) and all the tracks will sync. I've done it many times.

:) Alright thanks; yeah I've gotten success lining up manually, just curious if it was possible get it EXACTLY perfect :)

Thanks

Dex
I don't know if this is the same problem you are having but I found that in Cool Edit 2.0 the is a place where you can correct this kind of problem. In the multitrack window go to Options-settings-multitrack and near the bottom left you will find two places to put check marks. One refers to correcting "drifts" and the other sync. I checked them both and now the problem is solved. The only thing is that you cannot drop previously recorded data from your hard disk for it to work. You must record your first track from your tape deck then go back and do the next and the next.

Back