Recording

PJCruz

Just a general recording question. Once I record each track.. should I normalize or compress each individual track... and THEN do the final fix and mastering process? Or should I only normalize and master at the very end once the song is otherwise done?

Thanks
Pete

You kinda ask two[three] questions...whether to 1)normalize and/or 2) compress...and then (3) process before or after mixing.

I would say that you might normalize indie tracks only for certain specific reasons (like they where recorded so low you can't see a wav form, but the track was a one take wonder...etc). Otherwise, no real reason to normalize before mixing. You would just be processing an additional time. But, that is not a rule...you may want to normalize, then gate the signal, for instance also, as an example.

As far as compressing before mixing....yes ..if the track calls for it. Just like compressing on the track WHILE recording, you may need to have the effects of compression to help things out. Many prefer to record without any processing, then leaving them the option to process (like compress) the track later, and to make different choices on the available compression settings..for example. As an example, you may want to smooth out the peaks on a vocal take, bass gtr, or be more creative by punching out instruments via other compression settings.

As far as after the final mix....then normalizing may be in order to raise the overall levels up. And compression maybe used again for same or different reasons. No problems compressing twice or more (during tracking, processing indie tracks, and/or mixing)...or not at all....whatever suits the situation.

Remember that the two processes are different (normalizing and compression), and thus are generally used for different purposes. Normalizing generally is used to make the loudest passage just as near as the 0 mark on your meters without going over...thus raising the entire wavform up by the same amount. Compression does just what it sounds like (generally)...compress the overall signal and make the loudest and quietest passages closer together than was originally. There are other creative uses of compression, but for this response, will skip that for now. Hope this rant helps explain.....!!

Back