question on deleting areas of silence....

Basslord1124

First off, lets just say you're recording a vocal track...you let it record through the song and the vocalist sings at the points he needs. Then when it's all said and done and the recording part is over you noticed all the blank spots where the vocalist didn't sing. I put silence over em (using CEP pro of course) to cut down on any background noise that was in the track, but is there any way to physically delete those sections without altering the time of the track...or is it one of those situations where I'll have to start/stop the recording when the vocalist isn't singing to achieve this?

I don't believe there is a way to do that but if there is that would be very handy in keeping the file sizes down..

If your in the multitrack view you can select the block and delete it I know. I'm not sure as to how it all saves though.

If the quiet bits are at the beginning or end of the track, you can delete the parts you don't want in edit view and then save the track. As for the quiet bits in the middle of the track, no, I don't think there's a way to delete that easily.

Basslord1124 said:
First off, lets just say you're recording a vocal track...you let it record through the song and the vocalist sings at the points he needs. Then when it's all said and done and the recording part is over you noticed all the blank spots where the vocalist didn't sing. I put silence over em (using CEP pro of course) to cut down on any background noise that was in the track, but is there any way to physically delete those sections without altering the time of the track...or is it one of those situations where I'll have to start/stop the recording when the vocalist isn't singing to achieve this?

Go into the EDIT view, highlight portion to be silenced, go to EFFECTS, 3rd choice down "SILENCE". Wallah!! This is the "manual way" with NO time altered. I believe this can be done automatically with threshold control as well. Hope this helps. ---Lee

When I do this, the timing stays the same...Hmmm. I do this a lot. If you need to highlight the newly separated, hold Ctrl and click them.

Nice try SOUND DIAGNOSIS...but technically I've already did the silence thing...I just wanted if there was a way to "delete" that silence without altering the timing. It'd cut down on file size I know that.

Basslord1124 said:
Nice try SOUND DIAGNOSIS...but technically I've already did the silence thing...I just wanted if there was a way to "delete" that silence without altering the timing. It'd cut down on file size I know that.

If you are talking about deleting silence in the EDIT view without altering the timing whatsoever, that's what the aforementioned maneuver DOES accomplish. Works for me on CEP 2.1. Question is, why is it not working for you? Hmmmm. ---Lee

I should mention I am using a previous version of CEP (not too old, but the one before the latest...can't remember the number off hand). I know it's got the silence feature (in the exact place you describe as well). I'll give it a shot again...I believe what I was doing before was "transforming" those areas to silence. It makes sense what you're saying, I just need to sit down and try it. I'll be working again with it tonight and see if it works. ;)

Basslord1124 said:
I should mention I am using a previous version of CEP (not too old, but the one before the latest...can't remember the number off hand). I know it's got the silence feature (in the exact place you describe as well). I'll give it a shot again...I believe what I was doing before was "transforming" those areas to silence. It makes sense what you're saying, I just need to sit down and try it. I'll be working again with it tonight and see if it works. ;)

Good luck and praise the "lord'?? :D

Hey, hang on - does inserting silence actually reduce the file size of the track? Cuz that's what Basslord wants to accomplish, I think. Or does it just insert silence in a portion of the track without reducing the track size?

I tried it. Inserting silence doesn't remove anything from the track. It just completely silences the highlighted portion of the track in EV.

dobro said:
Hey, hang on - does inserting silence actually reduce the file size of the track? Cuz that's what Basslord wants to accomplish, I think. Or does it just insert silence in a portion of the track without reducing the track size?

He basically wants to silence non-vocal parts in the vocal audio track as one should when in production, to keep things "clean", if you will. He wants to leave the file "as is", without altering the track size one iota. Basic editing, really, even for this semi-novice. :) He should be able to do this, provided the version of CEP he has is ABLE to do this. ---Lee

This is why I thought he was interested in cutting out chunks of the track in order to cut down on file size:

"I just wanted if there was a way to "delete" that silence without altering the timing. It'd cut down on file size I know that."

If he just wanted to make the quiet portions absolutely quiet, he could just use a volume envelope. But he doesn't just want them quiet - he wants 'em GONE! lol

I wouldn't say file size is a huge priority, but I think it's a concern to some degree. Part of my reason was just basically on common sense...plus it'd make it look so much neater (I am a neat freak). I mean if I lay down a guitar lead that I play in the beginning but also play maybe after each little phrase in the verse (as most leads do)...then I'd think I should be able to delete those sections where I'm not playing. It's digital recording so you should be able to cut, splice, and manipulate just about anything. Basically I was wanting to take a track like this with all the empty spots where nothing is happening:

wav1.jpg

and make it look kinda like this
wav2.jpg

I tinkered around with it some tonight, but with no luck. :(

There's a button that does that!!!!!

In order to cut a section out of the file that has been recorded is as simple as clicking a button in the "Tracking View" toolbar. All you have to do is highlight the portion that is to be deleted and then click the button. The button looks the same as the "delete" button in the "Edit View". It's that simple!

Back