Problem

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I got my Delta 44 recording onto my machine but now I have another problem, whenever I record something, the volume can't get too loud, I can still hear it but I can't make it get any louder. I have all the level controls on my mixer all the way up, all the level settings for my soundcard turned all the way up. What is wrong?

Well Whyte Ice, there has got to be another place in the signal chain that you haven't found yet for adjusting levels. You should be able to overdrive that darn thing. Can you monitor the signal from the source to the Delta somehow and check levels at each point? Otherwise, is there a possibility that your monitoring setup is not working the way you think? wait, mp3's play OK right? hmmmmm.

Explain the exact signal path to the Delta. Mic to mixer, mixer to Delta, Delta to software app. Like that.

Have you got preamps on that mixer and if so is your trim high enough?
Does your meters show a good signal?

Duck

On my mixer, I turn my level faders all the way up on the channel and in the main mix and I add gain to each channel. My meters do show a good signal but when I play back, its not loud enough and I cant make it any louder with anything. I'd amplify the track but I don't want to do that every single time and it probably won't come out as good.

obvious question 1:

is the mic a condensor? and if so do you have phantom power?

obvious question 2:

Have you tried different mics or sources?

not so obvious question 1:

Are there JUMPERS on the inside of your delta box like there were on the old DMAN 2044s? If so are they set to the right levels?

xoox

obvious answer 1:
nope, the mic is not a condenser and my mixer does have phantom power but I'm not too sure what to do with it

obvious answer 2:
I've tried one other mic and I tried to DI straight into the mixer and it still the same results.

camn said:

Are there JUMPERS on the inside of your delta box like there were on the old DMAN 2044s? If so are they set to the right levels?

Jumpers? I've never looked inside my delta break out box before. Should I? I recently just got this sound card brand new.

on the inside of the breakout box... or perhaps on the card itself.. there should be a set of jumpers allowing you to switch the input level between -10 an +4. REFER TO YOU MANUAL for this one. then try switching them around.

if THATS not it... and its not that you're missing some software setting OUTSIDE of CEP (which you may be) then I would call it a defective unit and exchange it.

xoox

you know.. I worked with the old version, the DMANN 2044.. and I checked the specs for the Delta, and they said that it WAS indeed switchable.. but Im not exactly sure WHERE the jumpers are. On the DMAN there were 4 jumpers inside the breakout box.

hmmm.. OK. I just checked the manual and its Software controlled nowadays. You just select it n the Delta Control Panel. DO you know what that thing is?

xoxo

so try the other ones and see if it helps. It probly wont, in which case Id go exchange the bastard.

:)

xoxo

Thing is, I can play mp3s through the output and it sounds just fine. But its when I input stuff it doesn't show up loud enough.

Just got set back up after a cross country move. Sorry for the delay.

Let's look at this again. In CEP, when you are ready to record, do you click on the meters at the bottom of the screen to preview the levels? If so, are they at a good level or even clipping? If so then the input is not the issue. If not then we know we need to work on the source. However, if the levels are good and the waveform shown looks good then we need to look at the output chain. Are you in multi track or single track view? If in multitrack then click on the left side of the track to bring up the properties for that track. What is the output device set to and is it's volume up?

Just because MP3's play means nothing to the wave output. Can you import a good waveform or wave file as a sample and see if it plays at the right volume. This test will show if the recorded signal is the issue or the output chain as I stated earlier.

Let me know and I'll do my best to help. If you want to have a live chat we can do that as well. We can get detailed on the spot and get this resolved for you. I have a chat scheduled for this Saturday at 9 pm EST if you want to join in then, or if you want to try sooner then let me know and I'll see what we can do. Post your reply in the Sultan's Tent at Collaboration Central in the forums area.

Problem Fixed

The problem has been fixed, what I did was I obtained a mic preamp and I hooked it up to the mixer, so my setup went like Delta 44 Breakout Box > Mic Preamp > Mixer > Microphone and it works great and I finally found out what everyone has been talking about the Delta 44, its great, a big step up from my old soundcard. Thanks to you all for giving me help.

The mixer supposedly has preamps, this is what it says in the manual but I had to turn up everything just to hear something, and I also had to turn my speakers up. Now with the addition of the preamp, I barely had to move any of the level faders up, everything is so clear and me friendly.

Do any of you have the same setup as me like soundcard > preamp > mixer > mic ?

I started out putting my mics through a mixer then to the soundcard then to the hard disk, but I didn't like the sound of the solid state pres in my mixer (Alesis 12-R) so much. So when I started getting dedicated preamps, I stopped sending the signal through the mixer. Why bother? It justs add unnecessary circuitry to the chain. Now, I'm using channel strips as much as possible for all that lovely control they give you. Which is cool if you're only recording one or two tracks at a time.

Back