Newest version....

Mip

What is the newest version of Cool Edit Pro called? How does it compare with Cool Edit Pro v 1.2? Also, how does it compare in price?
I heard from somebody that with the newest version of Cool Edit Pro you have to buy a plugin to actually make it multi-tracking software? Is this true?
Is Cool Edit Pro good for mastering as well, or should I get different software for that?
Thanks....

Yeah there's cep 2000 yes you do have to get a plugin for it whether you wan't to get the plugin is up to you I wasn't crazy about it so i'm just sticking to the old skool version. not sure about mastering.
Dioxide

I wonder if that person wasn't talking about Cool Edit 2000 as opposed to Cool Edit Pro. I have CE2000 and of course it's only a 2-track wav editor but you can buy a plug-in for it to give it 4 tracks. I think Cool Edit Pro however comes with 64-tracks standard. I can't imagine that you'd half to buy some kind of plug-in for it, especially at that price. I don't really know though.

windowman and dioxide are right. ce2000 needs plug-in, i've got the feeling 2000 is kind of a baby brother to ce pro. and yes ce pro has standard 64 tracks...

can't figure out why so much people use ce 2000.
tell me why YOU use it?

greetz guhlenn

and (i forgot) i don't know about the mastering either. i believe sound forge can do that but if CEP can?
by the way: not to be too precise but cool edit pro 2000 does not exist does it?
i mean you got CE2K AND CEPRO.

guhlenn

Why use CE 2000?

guhlenn,

Cool Edit 2000 is a wave editor that you can also buy a 4-track plug-in for that's great for doing crossfades and such and also for just regular 4-track recording if you want. Most folks I suspect just use it for taking an individual wave file out of another program like Cakewalk (which I use) and doing edits on that particualr file and then reinserting it into Cakewalk or whatever. In fact, Cakewalk will even search out your system to look for CE 2000 and will automatically list it in the toolbar panal for you under "tools".

There are a lot of guitar players that use Cakewalk's Guitar Studio 16 track program because so many of them grew up using 4-track cassette decks and the program is designed to look like those but with more tracks, thus, it's more intuitive for them to use than CE Pro and will have a less steep learning curve for them. Obviously CE Pro is a better program but it costs 3 times as much and doesn't have realtime effects yet, which Cakewalk does. So a simple program like Cakewalk can be better for your average guitar player who doesn't use much midi (although it comes with 256 midi tracks too) and then they'll use CE 2000 maybe to edit waves with once they get their feet wet with PC recording. I suspect many eventually upgrade to a better product like CE Pro after they learn the ins and outs a bit better.

Ain't that getting to be the big money question? I wonder if Regis has it written on the back of an index card somewhere? It sure has been a long time since the last upgrade.

Back