Thread: Dynamics Processing question: Compression through Ducking

Thanks

Dynamics Processing question: Compression through Ducking

Sign in to disable this ad
    Is anyone firmiliar with the technique of compressing an instrument in accordance with another instrument? I have an idea that i think will sound really good in a final mix. To add a bit more punch to the bass drum i want to compress the hell out of it so that there is only signal when the kick is hit and then compress a sin wave file at a very low frequency so that it only sounds when the bass drum hits. I know that this is possible to do in Audition i just dont know where to find the option. If anyone knows the information would be greatly appreciated.

Clowns to the left of me...Jokers to the right....Here I am....
    Thanks
    effects...
    amplitude...
    dynamic processing...

here you will find pre-sets for compression....
    start with a pre-set and work form there...

you can either do it in edit view or as a real time effect...

good luck...

Thanks
    There's no real way to use ducking compression in Audition. You can use the volume envelopes to set it up on the track to be ducked, as a sidechain in a compressor, or similar to it.. But it's a lot of work to use the volume envelopes to do that. Tedius work at a minimum, depending on the track you're ducking.

Preview of the new Album here!!!
    Mixing and Mastering services for your project, contact change@changehiphop.com

Thanks
    There is a definite way to do it, i was watching it in a Total Training tutorial video but i can not remember what the steps were... dammit.

Thanks
    Compression will not isolate the kick drum. If anything, it will raise the noise floor. What you want is a noise gate. Run a gate effect on the kick track to remove unwanted noise between hits. (Beware of decay problems, though.) Then find a noise gate that can duck your sign wave using sidechain input from the kick track. You may need to use a hardware noise gate for this because I doubt Audition can do it. If setup correctly, each time the kick drum hits, the gate will open and play the sign wave through to the output. Then simply record that output (sign wave) along side of the kick track.

Good luck,
    RawDepth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RawDepth
    Compression will not isolate the kick drum. If anything, it will raise the noise floor. What you want is a noise gate. Run a gate effect on the kick track to remove unwanted noise between hits. (Beware of decay problems, though.) Then find a noise gate that can duck your sign wave using sidechain input from the kick track. You may need to use a hardware noise gate for this because I doubt Audition can do it. If setup correctly, each time the kick drum hits, the gate will open and play the sign wave through to the output. Then simply record that output (sign wave) along side of the kick track.

Good luck,
    RawDepth
    yeah, i didnt want to do it with hardware, i thought adobe could sidechain compression. I guess im wrong... thanks for the help anyway guys.

Thread Information