Cool Edit Pro 2 in Windows 7 different than other threads...

ohgodwhyme

I'm running Cool Edit Pro 2 on a Toshiba Laptop Satellite A505-S6980
Processor*
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6600
Operating System*
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Graphics Engine*
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Graphics Memory*
128MB-1759MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Memory*
4GB DDR2 800MHz memory
Hard Drive*
500GB HDD (5400rpm)

Using a Personus Firepod (the older version of the FP10) and firewire card to connect the two.

For around 6 months of heavy recording, meaning just about everyday for an hour to six hours. everything worked great happy with everything.

Then cool edit started to freeze up while recording. Like it will just pause not record anything and then it 'catches' up and starts recording again. So my tracks would be missing parts of riffs or beats or whatever i was recording at the time. So bad to the point I couldn't get through a 40 sec scratch guitar track with nothing going on.

I gave Abobe Audition a try but i don't really care for it, but nevertheless it does the same thing but it doesn't lose time. So it'll just cut out but leave the space open from where it records. and I tried to record drum tracks to a guitar track and I had the exact same problem with it totally just cutting up where I couldn't get a 4 count off.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CEp2 again and now it come up with 'the specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. use capabilities fuction to determin the support formats.'

it's reading the firepod is there. But it just gives me that and then sometimes crashes out of the program. Doesn't matter what the firepod or the session is set to.

I've deleted off every program that I don't use, defragged, virus scanned... just about everything I could think of without reformatting the laptop.

I've been using Cool Edit Pro 2 for 8 years so I really don't want to use something else. I'm very familar and happy with what I had going on till last month now I'm totallly at a lost what to do.

I guess what i'm asking which I should do first? Smash the laptop or hang myself?

There are lot of factors. This might be related to your computer hardware, recording hardware and software.

I suggest you will go each steps of the troubleshooting outlined here: http://www.audiorecording.me/troubleshoot-cool-edit-pro-adobe-audition-freeze-slow-studio-computer.html

I know you are already did some of those steps, but maybe some things are worth checking such as the audio hardware interface, your Windows OS, your PC hardware or your power supply. You might be seeing some issues there which you do not know before. Good luck.

Back