CEP 2.01 - Using Effects

DairyAir

Hello,

I would like to ask the group a question regarding applied effects using CEP 2.01.

1. Is it possible to use a preset reverb effects such as “small dark room” in real time, when in Multi-track mode?
or is this effect considered a “destructive effect” & not used for real time?

2. I have recorded a 32bit mono guitar track and have it panned ¾ to the left. I then added a 50ms delay that
is panned to the right. So far this sounds pleasing. My problem seems to occur when I further pan the guitar
track left, my delayed effect becomes much weaker in the right speaker. In the rack set up I have the “dry out”
at 100%, as well as the delay at 100%. How can I correct this so the effect sustains a strong level.

3. Is it recommended to use multiple effects in “parallel” or “series” in mixer/rack setup eg. Reverb, Delay, Chorus?
I’m kinda’ thinking that it’s “parallel”!

Thanks for your time

DairyAir

Well Dairy, It is possible to use any effect in real time for playback as long as your processor, memory, and hard drive is fast enough. To determine this, just experiment. If playback or recording starts skipping, then you've got too much effects load, and you'll need to lock the effects so that they pre-mix before you continue work on the session. Any changes you want to make on the effect or the effected track will need to be pre-mixed again.

Thanks for your reply Dakota,

I'm going through a recording transition from a Roland VS-880
to CEP. Ya, I feel like a Newbie, but I guess I am really when it comes to CEP!
I think I figured out the reverb thing, I was using a "quickverb"
on my tracks, until I discovered that I could use a "full reverb"
effect, but I had to lock the tracks first. Nice sound!
The delay effect I'm still working on as we speak, also trying to figure out what the dynamic delay is! I do have my effects in "parallel", something like this:

Mono Guitar Track:

Guitar panned L 39

Effects Mixer: Dry Out @ 100
Delay @61
Full Reverb @ 17

Delay
L/Channel @ 45ms
Mixing Delayed @100%
R/Channel @45ms
Mixing Delayed @0%

Reverb
Length @585ms
Attack @22ms
Diffusion @670
Perception @72
Original Signal @100
Early Reflections @10
Reverb Wet @50
Combine Source Left & Right (Checked Off)

The song I’m recording is a folk tune at around 87bpm. I know it’s hard to judge but
if something doesn't look right with the settings, I'd sure appreciate some advice!

Thanks again

D.A.

There is no formula for a good mix. Experiment with different setups, but always keep a copy of the original uneffected tracks in case, 2 weeks down the road, you change your mind.

Back