CEP 2.0 : sampling rates and bits

Scotsman

My set up is a Di-Port going into a Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard. The Di-Port only supports 44.1/48Khz so I've set it as master and the soundcard as slave. The soundcard's control panel correctly shows that it's synchronised at 48khz. The Di-Port works at 24-bits and so does the soundcard.

When I go to record in CEP 2.0 and set the sample rate to 48 and bits to 32 (float) t doesn't work. It does work if I set it to 44.1 khz and 32 (float). It also works at 48khz and 16 bits.

Can anyone advise? I'm finding it really quite troublesome.

Thanks in advance,
Cams

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I've got a thought that you probably don't want to hear. :D I record all my stuff at 44.1 32-bit floating point, because I think that for what you gain (very little) by recording at 48 KHz might, you lose out on the extra conversion back to 44.1.

If I could record at 88.2, I'd do it, however.

Thanks for that Dobro - I guess I'll just work in 44.1 @ 32 bits and be happy with that.

Ah, curiouser and curiouser. If I set the Di-Port (external AD converter) to 44.1khz as master, the soundcard correctly picks it up as such, however recording in CEP at 44.1 and 32-bit doesn't work. But it *does* work at 48khz. This is very weird.

It seems that CEP is picking up the opposite settings to what the hardware is telling it. So if CEP says it's recording at 48khz and 24-bits, but the converter and soundcard are set at 44.1khz, what's ACTUALLY being recorded?

Cams

It would appear that I have solved the problem. In Device Properties, under the option Get 32-bit audio using: I had 4-byte PCM checked as well as Try as WDM. I unchecked the latter and changed the radio-button to 4-byte IEEE float and now it seems to record at the correct sample-rate.

But you guys reckon 32-bit float and 44.1khz is the way to go? Then that is what I shall do.

And now the learning curve shall REALLY commence...

Cheers,
Cams

Well, try recording a simple sound at 44.1, and then record the same sound at 48.1. Can you hear a difference? Play it to a friend - can they hear any difference? If either of you find yourself saying: "The second one sounds smoother," then it's better. But I've never been able to hear the difference.

Back