AA 3 With Alesis Firewire Multimix 16 and an MBOX?

SteveSmith

Hey guys,

Thanks for viewing my post. New here so if I'm in the wrong spot please forgive me. But I'm getting into recording and had a question.
I currently use AA 3 and have an Alesis Firewire Multimix 16. I am a drummer and I have recently upgraded my kit. In doing that I need a couple extra channels when recording. Right now I use all 8 of the xlr inputs on the alesis multimix. I also have an Mbox with the two xlr inputs on it. My question is can I use the Multimix for the 8 channels and at the same time use the Mbox for 2 extra channels in order to have 10 simultaneous channels?

adding hardware for extra tracks

Yes, you probably can but the problem that could arise is the extra 2 tracks from the Mbox may not be in sync and will drift way out with longer takes. I tied this using to separate sound cards and had this issue. The problem is each hardware input device has its own its own internal time clock. Unless you have a way of linking them together and using only one clock for both devices the tracks will drift out of sync. It will get even worse with alot of track editing is done. I do know the Delta 10 boards will allow you to this with special cable between the boards

I hope that helps.

Moptop

Hey guys,

Thanks for viewing my post. New here so if I'm in the wrong spot please forgive me. But I'm getting into recording and had a question.
I currently use AA 3 and have an Alesis Firewire Multimix 16. I am a drummer and I have recently upgraded my kit. In doing that I need a couple extra channels when recording. Right now I use all 8 of the xlr inputs on the alesis multimix. I also have an Mbox with the two xlr inputs on it. My question is can I use the Multimix for the 8 channels and at the same time use the Mbox for 2 extra channels in order to have 10 simultaneous channels?

ASIO specs are >one< asio device driver at one time.

So unless you are using interfaces from the same manufacturer AND their drivers are written for multiple boxes to run on one instance of their asio driver, you may have unpredictable (usually no) luck.

(This is why I bought a Motu828mkII years ago, I can gang four units on my firewire chain and they'll run under one driver for over 80 simultaneous channels)

Even if they do work, as moptop said, the crystal clocks in each device will beat at different rates and will drift unless you can wordclock them together.

On a Mac you can use Aggregate Device, but without wordclock to sync the devices you'll have to enable resampling on all but the master device.

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried it and you guys were right the sync is all messed up. I think my best bet now is to get some mic pres and run them to thee remaining 1/4" plug ins. Any thoughts on that??

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried it and you guys were right the sync is all messed up. I think my best bet now is to get some mic pres and run them to thee remaining 1/4" plug ins. Any thoughts on that??

Go for it. I would go for decent solid state pres rather than cheap tube gear.

This might be worth a try before spending money on a new 2 channel mic pre..

If the M-Box XLR inputs can be routed separately to it's L/R outputs (input 1 to the left output, and input 2 to the right output), you might still be able to use it as a 2 channel preamp and plug it into the 1/4" inputs on the Alesis

Stryder That is a great idea. i will try that tonight when I get to the studio and report back how it worked out.

Back