Windows XP Problem

carlosguardia

Hello there, me once again with a problem. I upgraded today, kind of reluctantly, to Win XP from 2k and started playing around with it. I was happy because it looks pretty and seemed fast and everything seemed to be going well when I decided to go ahead and do what is most important... of course, run sonar. It opened nice and fast but when I opened a file, the audio seems to be for lack of a better word, funked up. Again, my setup is a P IV 1.6 ghz running XP, sound card is a SB Platinum Live 5.1 and the problem I have is that it sounds like the audio is bouncing on something... it's strange but NOT COOL AT ALL!!!! Midi plays back fine although SF2's are also messed up, but that I can fix just fine. If I play an mp3 on winamp it sounds fine so the problem must be somewhere inside Sonar; right? Any help PLEASE!!! Thanx cuz I know one of you, probably dachay or James or Moskis will have a solution for this problem.

Carlos

Hi carlosguardia,

Have you tried re-running the Wave Profiler?

That might be a start.

Porter

Carlos, Have you upgraded the SB live plat drivers. The XP ones that came with the installation CD are practically unusable and MUST be updated before Sonar will work.

Looks like Porter has done a good job :)
Simple and hit straight to the target... :D

Glad to hear everything works fine now.

;)
Jaymz

THANK YOU

Well, this may be a bit premature... but I have been having the same problem. I have tried tweaking every setting I can find in Sonar, Windows, and even my grandpa's hearing aid (ok, I made-up that last one).

This actually sounds like it might be the solution. I'm at work but now I want to go home early to see if the new drivers will solve this problem.

Thanks again!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

This is one of those occasions where I feel like a genuine idiot. I've been a computer geek since I was a little kid. I know one of the first things to do when having device problems is to update the drivers. Why I didn't do that before today is boggling my mind-- doh!

Anyway, I updated the SB Live drivers and re-ran Wave Profiler and my playback works great now. Thanks people!

Cheers!

I'm also classed as a computer geek... Im 23 years old and have been using computers for 19 years.

I actually want to get out of the computer industry and work in something music related... however I'm sitting in this job (IT Support) at the moment earning money. Once I've saved enough money... in about 10+ years I'll change careers (mind you that's after paying off my current personal debt, pay off a majority of my home load, plus help my wife out financially with her business + have kids)

Anyway.... if any of you know of a paying jobs in the Music Industry in Sydney, let me know ;-)

Porter

I too upgraded to Windows XP and found my sound 'wobbly'. Then I tried Wave Profiler by accident and presto it worked. I found that my sample rate had been downgraded to 22,050 from 44,100. Don't know if that is bad or not, but I change my DMA from 384 to 512 and I got back my sample rate to 44,100. I am really fiddling around as I am not knowledgeable enough to know what I am really doing :(

Please advice what is the function of Wave Profiler and the best sample rate and DMA settings to use. Thanks.

RonL

There are two things that always work...

1. The Wave Profiler
  2. Turn the computer off and on again
    [/list=1]

Be shure to try them first!

:D

moskus said:

1. The Wave Profiler
  2. Turn the computer off and on again
    [/list=1]

Be shure to try them first!

1. Well, it's funny...
    I thought you'll suggest...

Ditch the SB Live! and get some serious card... :D :D :D

Originally posted by moskus
The Wave Profiler
Turn the computer off and on again
And of course Step 3: Swear at the computer.

I find I utilise Step 3 more than any other, although it's not as effective as Steps 1 & 2. :)

--
BluesMeister

And of course: Kill the messenger, hit the monitor... ;)

And sorry James, it's just a slip:
Ditch the SB LIVE! and get some serious card!

Well, things are working fine now, as far as the audio playback is concerned. A few things changed since the upgrade to XP from 2K like now, when I insert a Midi track, the first output that I can select, hence you could call that the default midi playback, is the soundfont device where as before it was my external Midi Sound Module. This causes also that the metronome now, when set to play in playback or recording is the internal (SB) HiHat and not what I had always used which was the Roland module (Which I was used to already)... this are simple to fix and probably there's a way to set the output 3 to be the default; however, one thing I noticed this last week is that Sonar now runs quite slower than before!!! I now I read a thread here, a few weeks back that had pointers on how to maximize your computer's "juice" for audio recording and playback but I cannot seem to find it now. Any tips or ideas on how to have my computer working as fast as before now that I have XP?! Could it be that I created 3 users now (one for myself, one for my wife and another for audio purposes) and if I'm in the "audio" user but my wife left a few programs in the background running that the computer will slow down?! I know with 2k I never had problems with multiple tasks running in the background while I was recording audio. Anyways, thanks, as always for all the invaluable feedback.

Carlos

Back