Is sonar easy to use??

Upper_Cutt

I'm in search for a sequencer and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't have a GREAT learning curve. I'm new to the world of DAWS and want something that isnt going to be too troublesome.

thanks

I haven't had too hard of a time learning it. Have you used software multi-track before? That will determine how steep the curve is.

No I have never used software multi-trackers before......although I did have some primative version of cake walk in 1994 some kind of scoring program or something.....

thank u for replying to my post.

Upper_Cutt said:
I'm in search for a sequencer and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't have a GREAT learning curve. I'm new to the world of DAWS and want something that isnt going to be too troublesome.

thanks
I think, if you have an intuitive mind and pretty much understand what you are doing, you will find Sonar easy to use . . . and not so easy to master. It will take some work and familiarity with the program but it is not difficult to produce a decent output. Just read the manual, do the tutorials, and possibily buy some third party helps such as Sonar Power. If you do make the decision to buy it I don't think you will regret it.

Sonar is fairly well thought out. It has many levels, it can do the basics and very advances stuff as well. Most of us in this forum have used it for years so we are probably the wrong people to ask :p but its pretty easy to do the basic stuff.

Dogman said:
It's probably no harder than any other program. Just takes some getting used to.

indeed... make you decision and get which ever package you want... then get stuck into

pop back in a couple of years time and tell us how you're getting on;)

Seriously though, I've been using Cakewalk (now Sonar) since V2 and I've always found it quite easy to pick up, and that's mostly without using the manual... it's that intuitive IMO (or prehaps it's because I've been using it so long :rolleyes:)

My first software Sequencer was Cakewalk Express Gold v6 (yikes!) that came with my SoundBlaster Live sound card. I then tried Pro Tools Free. Now, I was a real neophyte, but to me the Cakewalk software was much easier to use. That's why I went with Sonar.

I actually think that ease of use is one of Sonar's strong suits. If you want to plug in a microphone and record some audio, you can be started in minutes (provided you have the mic and an audio interface, of course).

So my answer is, yes, Sonar is REALLY easy to use. Of course, to become a master, that's a different thing. The program is deep.

DavidK said:
it can do the basics ...........but its pretty easy to do the basic stuff.

Sonar is difficult to learn, as is/was my experience. Yes, it can do the basics, but you have to know how to use Sonar as a professional to finally understand how to use the basics. So, it's not really easy, but once you know how, you will find that you have a very powerfull tool at your fingertips.

Flet said:
Sonar is difficult to learn, as is/was my experience. Yes, it can do the basics, but you have to know how to use Sonar as a professional to finally understand how to use the basics. So, it's not really easy, but once you know how, you will find that you have a very powerfull tool at your fingertips.

I am not sure what you just said.

The basics= press record, play guitar, press stop. Thats easy to figure out on Sonar. Multitracking is easy to figure out, importing audio is easy too. To me, those are the basics.

Personally, I found Sonar pretty easy to get up and running (mind you, I wasn't new to software recording)... There's an online tutorial course you can check out at http://www.vtccanada.com/can/titles/sonar_4_5.html that has several free quicktime tutorials about the basics of Sonar - the guy is kind of crackers-and-glue as far as excitement goes, but you'll probably get a good enough idea of the basics/how hard it's going to be to learn from the free trutorials.

I think Sonar is pretty easy to use.. there are some things I didn't like but got use too like the Cut, split and paste function.. I think Cubase SX3 was better in that section..

One thing that needs mentioning. Whatever software u decide to use make sure you have plenty of processor speed and lots and lots of RAM in your PC. :p

I've been using Sonar since XL2. I learn slowly. :o I even went back to my Alesis HD24/Mackie 24/8 for a while. Basic recording, slip editing, mixing, and exporting is fairly simple... Once you do it a few times. This program is as deep as you want. I'm 54 y/o and primarily a pedal steel guitar player. I would not say learning was easy, but it was rewarding.

I've been using the demo version of tracktion and I simply love it?? It isnt as robust as sonar, cubase or logic,; it does the basics very well and is so easy. I'm thinking about buying the full version.

Upper_Cutt said:
I've been using the demo version of tracktion and I simply love it?? It isnt as robust as sonar, cubase or logic,; it does the basics very well and is so easy. I'm thinking about buying the full version.

good luck with your chosen software

What I should also point out that Sonar only really starts to get difficult (for me anyways) is knowing which plugin where and why... this is a science on its own and has nothing to do with Sonar and more to do with the fundementals of EQ, Compression, Delay, Reverb etc.

Also, on the MIDI side, there are those amongst us who can get into the finer detail of System Exclusive, NRPN's and all the Controller messages but it's not necessary to get too deep into that nowadays and in fact, with soft synths you don't need to go there at all (I don't think).

Back