Sonar disappointment

andreujuanc

Hello,

I've been using sonar for about 1 week or so. At first I was very impressed. Since I migrated from Acid Pro 7 I found some features on Sonar that Acid doesn't have, things like:

- Ability to add Inputs from different interfaces without ASIO.
- Native Sidechain capabilities.
- Came with some good plugins, like the cakewalk compressor or the Sonitus kit.
- x64 architecture <- this was very important to me.

But:
- Its really unstable, the UI its fancy, yes, but not as productive as AP7 (I bet u don't believe me).
- It lags a lot, really, A LOT, i cant work with the sampling rate i work in AP (i have a i5, 6GB RAM, 500GB Disks)
- Today , I coudnt work on one project, because of a "Audio Dropout", and yesterday was working like a charm. And its just with that project.
- Importing tracks, omg, importing tracks, im pretty sure Cakewalk guys havent work with acid or other DAWs, I dont know how it could pass the QA tests.

I hope u dont find this offensive, but reflective.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problems im facing on Sonar?
Is there any other DAW out there where i can the features i said at the beginning of the post-?

I'm pretty frustrated.

Cheers

Are you running a dedicated DAW? Or do you have a firewall and virus scanner and 20 other services or so on running on an internet using workstation?

Maybe you know these and maybe you don't:

Make sure your audio files are on a separate hard drive as your system. Make sure your virus scanner is set to skip the audio files folder. Make sure every useless service is turned off (search google for this). Watch out for resource-hogging plug-ins. Unplug every usb cable plugged into your pc. Set your CD/DVD ROM to not auto load a CD/DVD. Look at your CPU meter to see if anything's making your box busy that shouldn't be. If you have multi logon enabled, log everybody else off the pc.

This is all I can think of for now and may help.

Hello,

Everything is as it should be. But I dont understand why Acid Pro works perfectly, doesnt lag, and uses the Interface without problems, and Sonar dont. It doesnt have the same processing performance as AP.

What Im goin to do is to use Sonar for Recording and AP for Mixing. x)

What do u think about it? Is there anyother DAW software u know that allows me to Record from different Interfaces?

Thanks for the reply..

You state using multiple inputs with out ASIO, so what mode of drivers are residing on audio options. Normally I stick with ASIO due to compatibility with soft synths.

The lag would be noticible with MME drivers for sure, WDM worked great, but when I introduced NI soft synths, the next wave tracks went weird...

- Importing tracks, omg, importing tracks, im pretty sure Cakewalk guys havent work with acid or other DAWs, I dont know how it could pass the QA tests.

I've used Reaper, Logic, Cubase and Studio One... I do most of my studio work collaborating with musicians all over the world and they send me their stuff to mix or add live drums to... Sonar kicks ass for me importing tracks...
What, in particular, is your 'omg' issue?

Are you on the X1c update? From what I understand most of the issues you are talking about where fixed there. I have been using Sonar off and on for years and I understand those frustrations. If I did not hear that X1 was the most stable version of Sonar to date i would not have upgraded last week. So far so good its doing what its supposed to do most of the time but I am glad I still have Reason around to do most of the heavy lifting.

I find that the ASIO drivers are unusable. I have a SonicCell and the ASIO driver does not allow me to use it for the Playback and Recording timing masters.

I would make sure that the Playback and Recording Timing Masters in the Driver Settings are set correctly. If they aren't, you would get strange drop-outs and it would probably mean you need to use the WDM/KS driver.

Daniel.

Did anyone also have trouble installing that update? I had to do it twice. The first time it didn't work and didn't report any problems, either. I only noticed because I chose to read the readme and it was all about X1c.

I checked the exe version info to confirm it was still X1c (it was, product version?) and I ran the update again. That time, the readme was about X1d and the exe product version was X1d.

Daniel.

I've been using Sonar for several years, 8.5 and upgraded to X1 and got the expanded, use a lot of plug ins. My computer is a laptop i7 Q720 1.6Ghz 8GB ram. I use it for every thing. Internet, work and watching ****. Very rarely do I have drop out problems. Only when I'm using too much reverb or delays. Sounds like you have a personal problem that can be fixed.

Did anyone also have trouble installing that update? I had to do it twice. The first time it didn't work and didn't report any problems, either. I only noticed because I chose to read the readme and it was all about X1c.

I checked the exe version info to confirm it was still X1c (it was, product version?) and I ran the update again. That time, the readme was about X1d and the exe product version was X1d.

Daniel.

Nope... X1d installed smooth :)

Back