sonar crashes on mixdown

postalblue

i'm using native insturments b4 organ, and when i tried to bounce the midi + synth to track, it crashes everytime. also, i tried a whole song mixdown (my first with sonar), and it crashed too.
i did manage to bounce to track a couple of other softsynth tracks and a drum track with vsampler. anything i might be missing here?
there are no effects in any tracks at this point. i tried archiving all tracks except for the b4 track audio and midi tracks, but it still crashed.

Have you updated the B4? I remember there was an issure about this, and NI posted an update which solved the problem.

I have the same problem with Triangle II, but there's no update to that...

You think it might be possible to play and record via soundcard if mixdown within software doesn't work? Just wondering.

sure, if nothing else works. the only problem with my soundcard is i can't run two sound applications at the same time. i'd have to submix everything within sonar, and then i'd still have to export to a wave file. i haven't tried doing that, but it might crash too, as far as i know. thank i still have cakewalk, and it does open sonar files. if i can print all dxi tracks to audio, i can still do the mixdown (or even the whole mix) on cakewalk. i really don't want to do that though, obviously. i want sonar to work properly.

postalblue said:
what do you do about the triangle II?
That's only a problem during mixdowns, and then I just let Sonar crash, restart the machine, and the "mixdown'ed" wave is where I told Sonar to save it. Sonar doesen't crash untill it reaches 100% of the mixdown.

It's still frustrating, though. Triangle II is a good/fair synth (I don't use much syntsh, anyway) but I choose not to use it because of this.

that's interesting, because my computer is crashing at 100%, but then i hit ctrl - alt - del, and they message 'sonar not responding' comes on. when i close the application, and then open it again, the bounced audio is not there. :(

My Sonar also crash quite a bit but that's because I'm using VST instruments and try to mixdown like postalblue said. So What I do these days is as soon as I finalize my VST track I just replay and record it via soundcard to a new track and archive the original VST track. Sorry, postalblue, you said your sound card doesn't allow you to do that?

Also, some times "my" Sonar crashes during mixdown because I would be working in Midi mode and still havent' saved my project in "Normal" mode.

how do you do that? i mean, i think i could only do that if i patched a cord from the output to the input of my aardvark interface. or maybe there's a setting in sonar i can use to accomplish this? isn't there a 'what your hear' setting in sonar? i thought i heard someone mention it. i'm using a lot of vst instruments with sonar, and so far the only one that's crashed was the b4. i have to sort this out, as i can't really use a multitracking program that won't let me mixdown my stuff.

Hey, I'm an Aardvark user too :)

postalblue said:
how do you do that? i mean, i think i could only do that if i patched a cord from the output to the input of my aardvark interface.

Yes, that's what I do. So you can't do like that? So far it works for me. BTW, my VST instrument is Virtual Guitars.

i can do it like that. i was just wondering if it's possible to do it without the ad/da conversion introduced by the cord.

What Aardvark card do you have? You may be able to just use the patch bay to route the output back into the input and record that way. That way the signal never leaves the card and you get around the extra DA/AD conversion your concerned about.

Just another thought.

postalblue said:
that's interesting, because my computer is crashing at 100%, but then i hit ctrl - alt - del, and they message 'sonar not responding' comes on. when i close the application, and then open it again, the bounced audio is not there. :(
It isn't there because you don't get to save the project, but it could be that it's written to disk... Check your Wave/audio folders.

DS_Sultan said:
What Aardvark card do you have? You may be able to just use the patch bay to route the output back into the input and record that way. That way the signal never leaves the card and you get around the extra DA/AD conversion your concerned about.

Just another thought.

i have the proaudio 2496.
that's a great idea. i hadn't thought of that. i'll look into the patch bay to see if it's possible. if memory serves i saw something about that on the manual (yes, i did read it!).

moskus said:
It isn't there because you don't get to save the project, but it could be that it's written to disk... Check your Wave/audio folders.

ouch! you mean i'll have to go through all the cwpa#$%#!.wav files? shoot!

Actually, if you can save the project, you could use the CWAF tool to find all the files associated with your project. Including the newly bounced tracks. Just another thought.

upon re-reading this thread i realized i didn't figure out how to setup the batch bay on the 2496 to record from its own output. any aardvark owners there have an idea?

postalblue said:
ouch! you mean i'll have to go through all the cwpa#$%#!.wav files? shoot!
It shouldn't be so bad. Sonar doesen't name it's files that way anymore. And remember: When you open the directory, sort by 'Date' (and try to remember when you did the mixdown).

When I'm mixing down (and Sonar crashes at 100%) the file shows up in the folder I told Sonar to export to.

I own a DP24/96, but I am not in front of it right now. When I am I will set it up to do as I suggested then post the settings for you.

Back