Sonar 6 producer audio settings problem

Alan McGuinness

Running sonar 6 producer on winxp
Line6 Gearbox

I am getting audio glitches on playback but when i try to increase the buffer size in the audio options-advanced tab, say from its current 128 to 512 and click the ok button it does not change to the next options tab, as it would with any changes made elsewhere in the options tabs

If I then close and reopen the audio option dialog box its back to 128. Same situation if I try to change driver mode from WDM/KS to ASIO in fact the heading on top of the audio options box is "audio options WDM/KS" which makes me wonder if I have the ASIO drivers or not. I know I have the most up to date drivers from Line 6 via download so now I am confussed.

I was running sonar 4 producer and did a full uninstal before installing version 6, I also uninstalled and reinstalled gearbox for good measure. In version 4 I was using ASIO drivers and had no latency issues

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Alan.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm not going to be a lot of help right off but I'll put some thought to it and give this thread a little bump.

I'll tell you this though...I've owned HS2000, HS2002, Sonar 3, 4, 5 and now version 6. I've never uninstalled any of them and all versions still work. I did have a few little glitches with certain plug-ins not showing up and the plug-in scan thing giving me fits at first but no audio problems of any kind. I'm jsut telling you this just to give you a little hope and confidence that it's unlikely a systemic problem with SONAR 6.

My machine has some pretty decent giddy-up so I'm no using ASIO...tried it way back in version 4 I think but never could figure it out. I'm using the WDM with latency set to zero or at least with the slider to the far left (5.8 msec ) and the playback buffers set to "2".

Thank you

I appreciate the input, I too have been using CW stuff for what seems like forever for that exact reason. I like it , I know about it and with the odd exception it does not let me down.

I am just baffled as to why the audio options – advanced tab will not allow me to change any parameters. If I change any parameters in any of the other tabs (general-drivers-driver profiles) then click OK they change no problem.
But no matter what I do in the advanced tab, when I click OK the settings just go back to where they were. This is frustrating to say the least as I am bursting to get working with the product and I feel that my glitch problem could well be remedied by increasing the buffer size to 512 rather than 128.

Alan

Just to add to the confusion, when I run Albeton live (It comes with the toneport) not one bit of latencey its playback heaven. Albeton is running on ASIO drivers

Dam it, if only I could get Sonar 6 to select the ASIO drivers!!! ArrrrGGG

Alan.

did you click the button under the slider in the general tab that says ASIO panel? This should open up the ASIO driver gui and allow you to alter the driver settings.

Alan, any chance you're using XP-64 bit?

Some ASIO drivers only work in 32-bit mode, and since Sonar 4 didn't have support for the 64-bit O/S, that would explain why things broke when you upgraded DAWs.

Guys, thanks for the feedback

Deshead: No is the short answer
Icddream: Please see below screen shots, there is no ASIO panel or GUI

Alan.

Attachments

• Genaral Tab 1.jpg
    Genaral Tab 1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Advanced Tab 1.jpg
    Advanced Tab 1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 75
Well, on the General tab side I see the device is the Toneport, but over on the Advanced tab side the device is a RealTek something. Is it possible that you are confusing the Sonar by having more than one audio device active at the same time? I'd recommend making sure that only the Toneport device is enabled in the device manager. If you see a RealTek device, disable it. Then check the Sonar settings again.

Tried the device manager issue and no joy there.
Like most things with PC's its doesnt make sence
Albeton runs perfect (with ASIO drivers)
Sonar will not allow me to select or change any parameters in the advanced tab of audio options (buffer size or driver options) which quite frankly is driving me F##king nuts. I dont want to use Albeton. I really like the look and feel of the new GUI in Sonar 6 but the glitches and latency issues are totally SHIT!!!

Alan

Ok I give up!
Two uninstall, re-installs later
Rather amussing that each time I install the options on the advanced tab change, for example the dithering option would change to triangular or something else.
Either way no matte what you do you can not change the F###ing options in the advanced tab.

I need to go take a lie down before I loose the plot completely.
Typical isnt it, I have just shelled out for my first set of nearfield monitors (Yamaha MSP5's) and this happens.

Alan.

What SONAR version are you using? Cakewalk recommends 6.2 for Vista users. They even recommend that you install the update all the way to 6.2 prior to opening the program! That may be the problem....

Back