Sonar 3-No Input?

3m()P\_/|/|K

Hello, I am new here, and having a problem.

Just installed Sonar 3. It doesnt seem to be recognizing any input. That is, I plug my guitar into the input of my sound card, but Sonar does not see any signal. Windows Sound Recorder works though, and I can hear the guitar on my PC speakers. It is a cheap old card, Hercules Gamesurround II. I know it is not a recording card, but I thought it should at least work. I looked in the Help and the tutorial, and didn't find a solution. My soundcard is listed in Sonar's options, and selected for use as input and output. When I try to record, I hear the metronome, and the guitar, but it does not record and at no point do the input levels move. Do I need another sound card? Is there a book anyone can reddommend that is easier to understand for a beginner than the manual?

Thanks.

3m()P\_/|/|K said:
Is there a book anyone can reddommend that is easier to understand for a beginner than the manual?

What's wrong with the manual? .. You will find the other books are actually thicker.

As for you problem.. I'm guessing your using a 'budget' sound card. Go into the Volume Control Panel, make sure the input isn't muted, plus go to recording and make sure your line in (or where ever you are plugging your guitar in) and make sure it's selected as the input.

Also, you card probably isn't suited to plug a guitar into also.. that might cause some other problems...

Porter

I think the problem is my cheap old sound card.

The manual and the help feature were no help, I think because they assume your sound card isn't junk. I borrowed a friend's Terratec card and that one works fine. I had hoped there was something simple I was overlooking, but it looks like I have to buy a new sound card.

Middleman said:
Not to sound snide but is this a legal copy you are running?

Confused.... does it need to login to Cakewalk to run?
My Studio PC has no net conectiom.
Cheers
Bob

Bob,

Middleman was asking that question because over the years we've seen quite a few people here using pirated software.. they come here because they have no manual and no idea how to use the software.. mostly it's "I've lost my manual" or "is there a better book" in this example. We only like helping people who have actually bought the software and support the developers.

As for a Net connection.. Cakewalk only points you at the web to register the software.. you don't need to register to use it, however it's recommended because you get updates on new software releases etc.

Porter

Porter said:
Bob,

As for a Net connection.. Cakewalk only points you at the web to register the software.. you don't need to register to use it, however it's recommended because you get updates on new software releases etc.

Porter
Hi Thanks for that I was having a major problem with my Adat not talking to sonar.
But its happy now.
I note that Older sonar 2 stuff doesnt seem to import into 3 so well,
I couldnt add any tracks to the older stuff.
Thanks for your help.
Bob

Importing should be fine. Make sure you have the 3.1 patch, then the 3.1.1 patch and finally the automation update and then try again.

All my stuff imports fine from v2 -v3. I have also pulled really old stuff from P.A. v8 and v9 into it and it seems to work fine.

One thing to note is that the bus architecture changed totally from v2 to v3 so you will most likely need to tweak your output bus structure after importing into v3.

Ciao,

Q.

Qwerty said:
One thing to note is that the bus architecture changed totally from v2 to v3 so you will most likely need to tweak your output bus structure after importing into v3.
Ciao,
Q.

Problem solved!!
Many thanks
Bob

3m()P\_/|/|K said:
I had hoped there was something simple I was overlooking, but it looks like I have to buy a new sound card.

Does your soundcard has a control panel of its own, just like soundblaster's? If it does, make sure that you select the corret input for recording (line-in or whatever you're using) in this specific control panel.

Back