Roland XP-10 and Cakewalk Home Studio 9--Help!

HAPLESSGUY

Can't get XP-10 and computer to communicate. Tried cd tutorial but it locks up computer. System stats: Compaq Presario 5461 with AMD K-6 at 500mhz; 64megs memory; 9.3 gb hard drive; running Windows 98; ESS MPU-401 sound card. Connected with computer serial cable set at pc-2 on xp-10. Anyone have advice on configuring? Very frustrated!!

Have you used this Cakewalk version with other synths successfully? Or is the whole setup new to you?

Go to tools/midi and make sure you have the proper midi ins and outs highlighted (selected). The window should show your soundcard, interface, or show something like midi 220.

Go to tools/instrument definition/import and select the XP10 for the midi channels you want (1 - 16 if the XP10 is the only synth you are using)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mutt:
Have you used this Cakewalk version with other synths successfully? Or is the whole setup new to you?

Go to tools/midi and make sure you have the proper midi ins and outs highlighted (selected). The window should show your soundcard, interface, or show something like midi 220.

Go to tools/instrument definition/import and select the XP10 for the midi channels you want (1 - 16 if the XP10 is the only synth you are using)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mutt but still no go. Did make progress though. Arranged ins and outs so that I at least can play virtual piano through computer speakers. I'm new to Cakewalk and use only the xp-10. I was using it with MOTU Freestyle on my old computer with Windows 3.1 and had little trouble configuring, but Roland had supplied me with a Quicksart guide for Freestyle and Windows. Any other ideas?

The only other thing I can think of is to check that you have the Roland in the right mode (multi or midi receive) to be able to transmit and receive midi data? Also go to your global menu on the Roland and see if it is set to transmit midi on channel 1.

I don't know much about Roland - you might want to go to the Roland formum at: www.synthzone.com

Back