Recording audio from one track to another track

MaKettle

I'm running out of CPU power because of all the reverb and EQ my singer applied to her many tracks she recorded on a song. What she did sounds good, so I want to record the tracks with effects to another track so the CPU doesn't have to run all these effects in real time. I have a Midiman 2044 soundcard/breakout box with four inputs and four outputs. I am sending the signal out of an external mixer through the aux send into the left 1/2 inputs, and bringing it out the left 1/2 outputs into an individual channel. On Sonar XL I have the output for the track being recorded set for left 1/2 with the input for the track I'm recording on set at right 1/2. Doing this avoids a feedback loop. When I record this way I get comb filtering on the new track, so I guess I haven't thought this through enough. Any suggestions as to how I can record new tracks from a track already being generated from my computer?

Thanks,
Charlie

One thing you can do without going through all that is to apply the effects to the track. That's like rerecording the track, on the same track with the effects applied. The bad thing about it is, it's permanent. It sounds like that's what you want anyway. I can't tell you exactly how to do it right now (I'm at work), but if you do a search on "applying effects" in the Help section, it will explain it.

Yeah, it doesn't really speak to the problem you're having doing it your way, but djc's comment points out one better way to do what you're trying to do, unless you are automating the effect over time.

Why are you sending the track out through the mixer and into the other channels physically? I bet that has something to do with your comb-filtering problem.

You should be able to patch the effect, and record a new track directly in SONAR by mixing to a new track. It doesn't even involve the soundcard -- SONAR just routes the already-recorded data through the plug in and saves the output as a separate file for the new track. This would be the way to go if the effect varies over time -- that is, if you are automating the send and return levels or other parameters over time.

If you are just picking a reverb setting and using it without change from beginning to end, it's easier to just make a copy of the track and paste it to a new track. Apply the effect destructively to one copy, and archive the other copy -- don't just mute it. This way the original track won't effect the CPU, and you can still always return to the original if you want to.

Essentially what AlChuck said...

except instead of copying and pasting, just use the Track -> Clone feature to create a duplicate of the track. Then archive one, and "apply" the effect to the other.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I was running out of brain power as fast as CPU power. I should have thought of some of those solutions myself, especially "apply effects". I knew about that, just didn't think of it! Time to upgrade to a bigger brain!

MaKettle

Back