Problem using cable extension for PC keyboard - please help!

zip

:mad: Have any of you tried to run your computer keyboard into the room you are recording in and found the extension was too long for the signal??:mad:

I'm recording vocal tracks in the poor man's vocal booth (bathroom) and need my PC keyboard to start / stop recording so I don't have to move from one room to another...picking up noise (footsteps / door).

I purchased a 25 foot extension that doesn't seem to work when I press R for record. I know the cable is OK because it will start and stop the track playback with the spacebar.

Has anyone ever had this problem?? I could probably go down to a 20 foot extension but no shorter. Is there something else I can do or another way to set things up??

Please help...this is driving me nuts!!

Thanks,

zip >>

...seems strange

:confused:

Why would someone market a keyboard extension that is too long to perform it's function? I'd check this cable of yours out before buying an amplifier or repeater box. The other thing is, if it really is too far to go, would an IR wireless do the job? If you can place the sensor within your line of sight it should work. (The wire on most sensors is quite long itself)

You could always try to make some RL friends and use a hand signal to get them to press PLAY for you. :D

This post is here because I am using computer to record with Cakewalk software....I guess it should have been on the Computer Recording board...oh well. :o

I actually found some information which may be helpful to others who may experience this problem...

According to manufacturers information, the distance between the PC and keyboard should only be a total of 15 feet for OPTIMUM performance. At close to 30 feet it was no wonder I had the problem. I did purchase a 20 foot extension and I will post as to whether or not it works for this application - CW where you only need to press the R and spacebar to record and play respectively.

This whole mess can be avoided is you want to shell out @$70 for an in-line signal booster. That would allow you @ 200 feet of extension.

zip >>

i was about to say that!

i've got my pc in an adjacent closet with 10 foot keyboard, mouse, and monitor cable extentions. when i bought them i was told that 15 feet was the max before you started taking a risk.

my question to you is:

why don't you setup a loop point in cakewalk such that you can record each iteration on a seperate track? then you don't have to press play and record over and over again.

just set up the count-in at 4 or even 8 if your bathroom is far away. take a glass of water with you, and record until you get it right. even if you mess up, just keep recording takes. then comp the best parts when you've gone through the song a couple of times successfully. that's what i use to do before i put the PC in the adjacent wall closet.

Never tried the loop point approach...how ya set that up? I'm just starting to work with CW.

I generally just sing most of the backup vocs in one pass - I listen to the imported .wav and insert the parts as needed. I figured if I botched one or two I could retake them... It sounds like looping could give you many options to choose from though. So does it loop in playback mode and switch from one track to another?

zip >>

Back