Playback while Recording

Pythor Sen

I'm using CW Express 8, which came with my SBLive.

I'm trying to listen to an acoustic guitar track and add a vocal track. I'm able to play back the guitar track at the same time as I record the vocal, which is my aim. However, the new track that is created mixes my guitar with my vocal, which isn't what I want.

What I'd like is to still be able to listen to the guitar while I'm singing so I can more easily stay on time, but have the resulting vocal track be just vocal, not mixed in with the previous guitar tracks. Dig what I'm saying?

Many thanks.

P.S.
My apologies for the double post. I tried to delete the other, but I see I don't have that privelidge.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pythor Sen:

I'm trying to listen to an acoustic guitar track and add a vocal track. I'm able to play back the guitar track at the same time as I record the vocal, which is my aim. However, the new track that is created mixes my guitar with my vocal, which isn't what I want.

What I'd like is to still be able to listen to the guitar while I'm singing so I can more easily stay on time, but have the resulting vocal track be just vocal, not mixed in with the previous guitar tracks. Dig what I'm saying?

Many thanks.

P.S.
My apologies for the double post. I tried to delete the other, but I see I don't have that privelidge.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard to say without knowing your setup but here is a stab.

First, if you are monitoring your guitar through your speakers and recording with a mike, the mike will pick up the guitar track in the background.

Or, you might need to select a different channel in Cakewalk. Set the new channel up for record and make sure you have not left the guitar track armed. Used the new channel for the voice.

Finally make sure you have turned off sound on sound. This is an additive recording process. This means that it adds to whatever you already have on a track.

Hope something here helps.

PS Try using headphones if you are monitoring with the speakers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pythor Sen:

Many thanks.

P.S.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOPS! Forgot a big one. If your SB card is not full duplex you can't do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Middleman:
Hard to say without knowing your setup but here is a stab.

First, if you are monitoring your guitar through your speakers and recording with a mike, the mike will pick up the guitar track in the background.

Or, you might need to select a different channel in Cakewalk. Set the new channel up for record and make sure you have not left the guitar track armed. Used the new channel for the voice.

Finally make sure you have turned off sound on sound. This is an additive recording process. This means that it adds to whatever you already have on a track.

Hope something here helps.

PS Try using headphones if you are monitoring with the speakers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a mic running into a Behringer 802A mixer, which then runs into the LineIn2 of my SBLive! card. I've got headphones plugged into the front panel, too.

I threw on some headphones. I first recorded a guitar track with the channel to 1 on that. With the recording settings on Overwrite, I armed only the vocal track, set the channel on that to 2 in track properties, then hit record.

The end result was still the same. The program seems to be taking my first track and mixing it with the vocal track.

I played the second track with the Solo button on, no dice. However, one can see from the waveform that the other track is written in there, anyway, but I tried the Solo button just to cover the bases.

:(

Any other ideas?

Yeah, there is a thing called loopback which may need to be turned off - or on. Can't remember which.

Open your mixer software for the SB, get the recording view and check your loopback setting. Try this to see if on or off corrects the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Middleman:
Yeah, there is a thing called loopback which may need to be turned off - or on. Can't remember which.

Open your mixer software for the SB, get the recording view and check your loopback setting. Try this to see if on or off corrects the problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You set me off in the right direction. I couldn't find a loopback setting, however, the problem was in the Windows recording controls. The selected recording input had been "What U Hear," which I'm guessing records everything it can get its hands on. I changed it to LineIn2, and that corrected the problem.

Muchas gracias a todos por la ayuda.

You set me off in the right direction. I couldn't find a loopback setting, however, the problem was in the Windows recording controls. The selected recording input had been "What U Hear," which I'm guessing records everything it can get its hands on. I changed it to LineIn2, and that corrected the problem.

Muchas gracias a todos por la ayuda.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problemo

Back