phase and meter levels

willow

phase...

recording - how do you avoid phasing (mic placements)and when do you mess with the phase inversion option? are there certain settings that are better before recording?

playback- how do you know when to set a certain track with inversion? for example.. i have a song that was recorded with 8 mics. an engineer heard this song a while back and he said that there were phasing problems in the drum tracks. how did he go about distinguishing them and how would you correct it? is it a matter of finding a track that sounds weak and just inverting that one track?

meters- i remember recording on reel-to-reel and i was pretty good at getting good input levels just by hitting in the red only on quick peaks

recording- in sonar, i usually let the meters go to the red occasionally on the fast peaks. (not all the way... -6 area) should i be recording a little hotter?

playback- when i play all the tracks.. the master is too loud when it is set on 0 db? would it be best to set all the tracks at levels so that the master is showing optimum levels at 0 db?

i hope you understand the questions the way i'm asking them..

any info and "rules of thumb" would be appreciated

gracias

willow said:
any info and "rules of thumb" would be appreciated

gracias
Yes. You're covering several rather large subjects that have tons of info here on the site. Do a search on each.
That should give you enough good info for several days -at least. :D
Just to nail the easy one- There is not 'soft clip' in digi. Set record at -18 to -12 for the bulk/average of the sig. and let all peaks come in under zero.
wayne

so it is ok to have some spikes in the "red zone"? yes, i know, not all the way to the top.

what about the masters, the same deal or can they be more in the red?

i was looking at a demo on sonar and the drums were riding in the red the whole time. what's up with that?

Back