panning question

Nathan1984

So I have been using sonar for ages, but just last night I came up with this solution to alot of my problems, or so I believe. I basically have been recording guitar tracks, and panning them left and right. Well, I send them into a bus, but leave it centered. My question is, when you send panned guitar tracks to a centered bus, is it going to the master centered? I seem to believe it is, because I used two guitar busses last night, and panned them both left and right, and it seemed to make my guitar tracks much fuller and richer sounding. I wanted to see if anyone else knows what I am talking about?

I don't think so, L and R to us a bus should be preserved. More likely, using 2 busses is giving you a different latency in one side. Easy way to tell is to put a strong effect like distortion on just one guitar track. Listen to the single bus and see if it is still only on one side.

They were stereo busses, but when I solo'd one bus that was suppose to had the guitars tracks all panned to the left, it sent the track to the master centered. That's how I figured this out. Don't ask me why, but if I don't pan the bus, it goes out centered.

They were stereo busses, but when I solo'd one bus that was suppose to had the guitars tracks all panned to the left, it sent the track to the master centered. That's how I figured this out. Don't ask me why, but if I don't pan the bus, it goes out centered.
That's how it has always worked for me in Sonar. Busses are stereo by default, sending a panned track to a stereo bus just stereofizes the mono track back to the middle. A new word, folks! To get around it, you make a mono bus and pan it to where you want it.

Interesting, it must be a setting. I just checked a project that has a vocal bus. I panned the lead vocal track all the way to the left, and the vocal bus only plays on the left with the control centered. I added a reverb to the vocal bus and had reverb bleed on the right track, but about 80% was on the left.

Next question, do you have a bunch of effects on the bus?

I think it's the effects in mono, that's the problem. Like I mentioned, my reverb bled into both sides, but the vocal was definately on one side. You can install the effects on one side or the other, or pan them as well?

I was thinking about a track clip, you can insert an effect on just the clip rather than the whole track.
Just looked again and for example, I have Lexicon Pantheon on the vocal bus. It's a stereo effect and has a left and right level. When I played the vocal panned hard right, turning the left level off on the pantheon got rid of the bleed.

Anyway, back to the original question, a hard panned track into a stereo bus still stays panned. Not sure why it wasn't working for you other than because of the effects.

Back