a noobie question! plugins?

Br3n

how on earth do you place a plugin post fader? ie a limiter on the master bus to stop peaking?

You don't.. have to, nor need to.
Yeah shure you could fudge ways around to do it. ie Call your 'master' a sub-master', feed it to a new bus with the limiter on it (now the final output bus) and leave that one's fader set to zero.

Now, instead... dun-ta-da-dom...
Get over having your master set any where but ZERO.

Master fader at zero, limiter's output goes to -.5 (or whatever you like for your 'safety zone).. and you'll never have to think of it again.
If your mix isn't hitting the master at that same ol' level use the master input trim to compensate, not the fader.

:rolleyes: :) Hey.. done that chase/compensate fader/limiter threshold mind numbing thing.
Now, pull fave comp/limiter up and always see/hear/get consistent operation, feedback and response.
As a slight aside here. Quite often I'll have a string of mixes (multi song proj) and simply automate the trim song to song and have much less need to ride threshold.
Very often simply drag the trim up or down into the comp to dial in the song's density and level.

ohrite fair enough. just wandered as i am a cubase fan so have come from there where you can set plugins pre or post fader and wandered why i couldnt in sonar. having played with sonar now for a little while i have noticed it doesnt matter but thank you for your reply. :)

what i ment was in cubase there are pre fader plugin slots and post fader plugin slots. i would put a limiter post fader on the master mix channel to stop it peaking. i dont seam tobe able to do so in sonar.

what i ment was in cubase there are pre fader plugin slots and post fader plugin slots. i would put a limiter post fader on the master mix channel to stop it peaking. i dont seam tobe able to do so in sonar.
I see what you mean, and I guess it's a nice option. But it just seems odd, from a channel' or mixer application; If the fader (ch' or master) is that section's final control, to have the limiter there. (Push the fader up, limiter fights it..) That happens (as expected) if the limiter's in a sub group of those channels..( But then we're back to channels and subs feeding the master.. :)

all it is is in cubase if i place a limiter pre fader then it still clips when mastering but if i put the same limiter with the same settings post fader it doesn't clip so i have been doing pre and post fader plugins when mastering.

i use eqs and comps pre fader but a limiter post fader on my mix group track then that feeds my master out channel that has nothing on it.

Back