No More Waves

tkingen

Djembes Rock
I've had the Waves Ren Complete bundle for a couple of years now. Besides the initial installation/authorization, I've had to reauthorize once on a new computer when the original one crashed, and then a couple of times when the blue screen appeared when trying to open Waves plugins.
Now, the blue screen is appearing again. Cakewalk recommends to again reinstall the Waves software. But, the authorization code assigned to my Waves account doesn't work! The handwriting is on the wall...waste more time on emails and/or long distance phone calls to solve the problem. Or, cut my losses and go with another company that is easier to work with. I understand that Waves wants to protect themselves from piracy, but I am a paying customer who is no longer interested in jumping through their hoops for the privilege of using their software.
The Sonitus plugins that come with Sonar are great and I am pleased with the results...but the GUI of the Waves RComp, RVox and Desser was convenient. Is there another company that has a similar GUI approach? If not, does anyone recommend another bundle from a company that doesn't use pace or I-Lock protection? Btw, that's another thing that kills me...if you don't want to have reauthorization problems, just pay extra money for this dongle thingy so that you can use the software that you've already paid for!

Terry

I've tried practically every native plugin out there, and as far as I'm concerned the Ultrafunk stuff has by far the most logical GUI... especially their compressor, which also happens to sound just the way I want a compressor to sound, so I use on practically everything. I hate the interface of most of the Waves stuff (their Ren plugins are better than their other ones though). I suppose I can't really help you out because we obviously have different GUI tastes. You could take a look at the PSP or Timeworks stuff though - but IMO Timeworks is the worst of them all, except for their 4080L which is awesome.

I'm not sure why you should spend extra bucks on the dongle? It should be included in the package... or at least, mine came with it... Sure I HATE to use dongle, but Waves quality worth the pain (re-authorization, CPU tax, etc...). Hey, have you considered card based plugins (TC powercore, UAD-1) ?

;)
Jaymz

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Last night I purchased the db-audioware mastering suite. Between db, the Sonitus plugs and the other plugs that come with Sonar, everything that I did with the Ren Collection should be covered.
I know that Waves is highly regarded for it's quality, but the Sonitus and db stuff sound great to me!
Btw Jaymz, I understand that Waves quit the dongle method and switched to a challenge/response system. Then, if you prefer, the I-Lock (which is essentially a dongle) is available for $35.00 extra.

Regards,
Terry

bleyrad said:
I've tried practically every native plugin out there, and as far as I'm concerned the Ultrafunk stuff has by far the most logical GUI... especially their compressor, which also happens to sound just the way I want a compressor to sound, so I use on practically everything.
I'm with you on that. I find the pseudo wood grain-glowing hardware fake and distracting. Don't have waves but the timeworks comp GUI is a great example.
Not.

tkingen said:
Btw Jaymz, I understand that Waves quit the dongle method and switched to a challenge/response system. Then, if you prefer, the I-Lock (which is essentially a dongle) is available for $35.00 extra.

I C... It's there when I bought v2 on the box, upgrading since then... So I think they left dongle method since v3... :)

Back