new kind of issue--what sound card?

kgirl72

Hi guys,

I posted a question in the Computer recording and soundcard section as well...

if you want to read that post...it is here.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71700

But, I'll ask it here--I need a new sound card, as I have a new Toshiba laptop and a 2 1/2 year old HP desktop system. Neither one of them sounds worth a crap. No real surprise here. I'd like to be able to really HEAR what's going on better. No more of that stupid noise that creeps in constantly.

My concern is that, since I'm not planning on making any money off my RECORDING ability, I'd like to be able to find a compatible card for both computers, so that I can be mobile as well. I'm looking at buying ONE that can be interchanged, because I'm a fairly broke little girl, as usual. I don't mind spending a small chunk on something that will do the trick, but don't know what to do for sure.

I am honestly looking at the USB interface as a viable option. Again, I will repeat, I am mainly just trying to do some writing. I'm more interested in locally playing than any kind of recording gig. I really am just using my recording skills as a way to explore my ideas musically. No real intention to publish any CDs yet.

So, what is it with USB? I've been looking around, and it appears that many of you don't like it. However, some of you seem pretty hard-core; meaning, this is WHAT YOU DO. I do nothing musically at this point, and since I'm pretty sure that this was what God meant for me to, and nothing else feels good, I'm trying to do something that way now as I'm getting older.

But the real question is, can I get by with USB and not feel like it's ruining my life and creativity. What is the real limitation? Can it be overcome by recording single tracks at a time and then just bouncing everything down when you want to play back. If I've recorded everything, which is pretty simple (i.e. my voice, my keys, and percussion, with maybe some strings, guitar, etc, and extra vocal backs) can I play them all back without bouncing to stereo tracks or will this even make a difference.

I do a little with midi, but not super concerned about this, as I'm mainly an audio recorder. In any case, with or with out midi is fine, although with would be better. I do have alternate midi routes for each computer.

I'm going to stop here. If you feel like you need specs, let me know, and I'll do the best I can.

Thank you so very much!
Kirstin

With what you are doing USB would be OK. I personally cannot justify a USB interface mainly because of cost. For example, the M-Audio Audiophile can be bought for $150 and an Audiobuddy pre-amp for $100. The comparable USB solution would be the M-Audio Duo which goes for $350. Thats a $100 premium for what is technically an inferior product (USB bandwitdth cannot compare to PCI).

The other big negative for me is the trouble alot of people go through trying to get these things to work correctly. There are alot more incompatability/driver issues with these USB devices from what I have seen.

Back