MP3 Encoder

Flash

Is it worth the money to get cakewalks MP3 Encoder? My trial ver. ran out. I know there are some freebies out there but, I think I would have to save to a wav file and then decode to MP3. Seems like the extra step may degrade things..... Any thought's and idea's?

no i don't think any degradation will occur if the file is already a final stereo mixed track, if its a whole bunch of tracks u have to bounce it might...

Ya, thats what I usually do. I just create it as an mp3 from sonar export file, taht way I can post it to nowhereradio and have the guys at the mp3 clinic listen to give me ideas on the levels and stuff.

-The only advantage of Cakewalk's MP3 encoder is that it integrates with Cakewalk. Cakewalk's own standalone encoder (Pyro) won't do that; as far as I know, you have to save the final .wav file in Cakewalk and then open Pyro.
-The absolute "best" MP3 encoders are free, but run on Linux. I personally think that it's rather silly to worry about, because the whole point of an MP3 is that you sacrafice some of the audio quality as a trade-off for having a smaller file size. -And Pyro is one of many programs that gives you the option of a number of different bitrates anyway.

Get the shareware version of Goldwave and d/l the free LAME encoder.

I don't know of a way to update Sonar to point at any other MP3 encoder apart from itself.

not worth the extra $ imo

you can just mix down to a wave file, then vbr encode using lame for posting to nowhere.

Cakewalk should include the ability to use any encoder but I guess it's their right to try and squeeze more money out of you however they can!

What pisses me off is the fact that CW's MP3 encoder was an included featuere in Pro Audio 9. I paid for it. I own a licensed copy. Now in Sonar it is removed! They are trying to get me to pay for it again, when supposedly I already own a licensed copy!

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Not the case, Aaron. If you own the version supplied with PA9, you can use it in Sonar. You do not need to buy it again.

I forget the exact procedure, but from your Sonar CD look for the .mp3 encoder install program. Run it, and when you get to a certain point it will ask where you got the encoder. PA9 should be one of the choices. After that it will ask you to pop in your PA9 CD to verify.

After that, you should be good to go, with the 30-day limit removed.

In all honesty, though, save yourself the trouble and get the Lame encoder. I have PA9 version and have never even thought about bothering to reinstall it.

converting from .wav to mp3

There's a relativily simple way of doing that.... DL the shareware version of MusicMatch Jukebox and you can export your .wav from Cakewalk to a seperate folder and then open it in MusicMatch and convert it to mp3 there... That's how I've been doing it and it seems to work well.

It will save the mp3 in the same folder (whatever you decide to name it) and then you can go in there and delete the .wav file if you want, to save disk space....

Back