MIDI setup woes in Sonar Producer 7....

JeffreyC

Ok, I'm fairly new to MIDI, but I've used it successfully in the past with Ableton Live 6, and 7.

I guess I'm looking for a good post online that can provide me with step by step setup for MIDI in Sonar 7. I spent 3-4 hours trying to get it to work yesterday with no success. It took me about 1 minute to get it setup and working in Ableton Live 6.

Here is my gear/setup.

Using my Yamaha S90ES KB as midi controller (cable connected to MIDI out in Yamaha into MIDI in on my interface)
RME Fireface 800 (MIDI light is flashing and responds to input from the KB)

Again, MIDI works fine in Ableton, so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my KB or interface configuration.

In Sonar, I see the level responding to input from my KB, but I get no sound. I'm trying to use EZ drummer and the B4 organ VSTi. I can see these things when I look in the plugins area, but I don't see them as MIDI output options - I only see drum manager.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I can post additional details tonight when I can look at the interface settings, but I've tried just about everything I can think of.

Jeffrey...

You need to "Insert" a soft synth into your project. This is covered in the help and tutorials.

But in a nutshell, go to : Insert > softsynth >then pick your synth. From there you will get a soft synth window entitled "insert soft synth options". Check the boxes for MIDI source and "first synth audio output" and "synth property page" You don't HAVE to pick these, but this is a good starting point. Then, click "ok"

Then in your track window, you will notice it created a MIDI track and an audio track for the output of your soft synth. The audio track will be blank, but don't worry about that now. In your MIDI track, MAKE SURE you have the input selected...like the MIDI channel you want to use going thru your RME. MAKE sure the output is going to your selected soft synth.

In your track controls...(next to the M, S R buttons), you'll see an Input echo button. Click that ON. That's the button that looks like sound waves coming out of a speaker )))

You should be able to hear your soft synth now. You might have to go to "options", > audio and adjust your latency...but that should get you started.

hope this works for you.

You need to "Insert" a soft synth into your project. This is covered in the help and tutorials.

But in a nutshell, go to : Insert > softsynth >then pick your synth. From there you will get a soft synth window entitled "insert soft synth options". Check the boxes for MIDI source and "first synth audio output" and "synth property page" You don't HAVE to pick these, but this is a good starting point. Then, click "ok"

Then in your track window, you will notice it created a MIDI track and an audio track for the output of your soft synth. The audio track will be blank, but don't worry about that now. In your MIDI track, MAKE SURE you have the input selected...like the MIDI channel you want to use going thru your RME. MAKE sure the output is going to your selected soft synth.

In your track controls...(next to the M, S R buttons), you'll see an Input echo button. Click that ON. That's the button that looks like sound waves coming out of a speaker )))

You should be able to hear your soft synth now. You might have to go to "options", > audio and adjust your latency...but that should get you started.

hope this works for you.

Oh man! Thank you so much! It works fine now! Not sure how I missed this - oh yeah, I'm one of those computer guys that likes to figure everything out on my own - :o - my brain just didn't make the connection to "soft synth" but like you said I'm sure it's in the manual/help somewhere. Thank you very much for helping me!:D

The internet is wonderful isn't it? I hang out at the Sonar forums too and they've saved me more than once.

Make some noise with that B4 and drum program!! :cool:

No sound

I am looking for a solution - I read your post and tried your suggestion. The soft synth shows MIDI control input, but I can't get any sound from the computer. ?

Jeffrey...

hope this works for you.

I am looking for a solution - I read your post and tried your suggestion. The soft synth shows MIDI control input, but I can't get any sound from the computer. ?

What the quoted post said--- and be sure and select an output on your interface that is routed to your monitors.

Back