midi files to MP3??

mutt

I have Cakewalk Pro 8.3 ( no MP3 converter)
How can I convert a midi file of my tracks (containing no audio) to MP3??

mutt

Well- you're going to need some sort of synth. MP3 is an audio format.
Go get a separate .mp3 encoder.
nonags.com is a good start.
Do a search here to find more sources.

Doc
Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. I see I should have been a bit more specific.

I run Cakewalk thru my Compaq Presario's cheapo sound card via midi cables attached at the joystick port - to a Midiman Biport 2x4 - to several different synths, mostly my Korg X5D because it's light and easy to move around. (I haven't moved into my spare bedroom studio yet - still waiting for my wife to do her wallpaper, etc. thing) I actually record my Cakewalk tracks into a Tascam 564 digital 4 track, add vocals, etc. for complete mixes. I was looking into the mP3 thing because a friend asked me to upload some of my midi tracks to MP3.

The Cakewalk home page FAQ's mentioned saving files to WAV by running the audio outs from my synth back into the line in's of my sound card, but my sound card has NO line in's - only the midi connectors. SO - there I am!!

Thanks again for your quick response.

mutt

If you are going to make an mp3 of something external to your computer (ie. sound modules, tascam 4-track) you will need a line-in. If you dont have a line-in on your soundcard maybe you will need to borrow a soundcard or find another computer with a line-in to use.

if you have an internal card the sounds are generated on the soundcard,so go to the windows mixer get into the record options and select the midi icon to record.... go into cakewalk and set up 2 audio tracks for recording 1 for left 1 for right click record
all being well you should have now recorded your midi song into cakewalk.... now its in audio format you can further mix/add effects to your hearts content... once your happy select the 2 audio tracks and choose export audio you will now have a huge .wav file...
now you will need an mp3 program. i use audioactive mp3 studio.... load in your huge wav and save it out as an mp3

Back