Mastering Sonar tracks in Wavelab then to CD

4ever

I got a dozen of tracks (one song) in Sonar that I would like to master using Wavelab. Reading Wavelab manual doesn't help at all. I guess they don't have Sonar users in mind when they wrote the book :-) I would really appreciate if you could show me what steps I need to take. Doesn't have to be detail. If there's a web site that teaches how I would be interested. I'm counting on you guys.

This much I can do:
In sonar, I select the tracks that I want to import to Wavelab.
Then I select Tools/Wavelab... A few seconds later I see in Wavelab a buch of wave tracks: copy of blah, blah... the names do not correspond to the tracks in Sonar. They're in seperate windows and tiled... I would feel comfortable if they're displayed in rows in one window like in Sonar.

I found out I can play the wave tracks individually. I had to close Sonar at that point otherwise it won't play. How do I play all the tracks at the same time? How do I apply effects to individual tracks? How do I put them in one windows? I need some general ideas.

Bottom line: Help me PLEASE!!!!!

It doesen't work that way. Why would you open all your waves in Wavelab? The reason we use Sonar for recording is multitracking, i.e. we can play back many tracks at a time. Wavelab plays just one file at a time (although this can be a stereofile).

If you want to master the final song, select all tracks (Ctrl + A), and go File -> Export. Then you get a stereo wavefile (two tracks in one file) to open in Wavelab for mastering.

If you want to read about mastering, go
here.

Good luck! :)

Yup! What moskus said!

Mastering is done on the final stereo wave, not on the individual tracks. Working on the individual tracks is mixing, and you use Sonar for that.

Whilst we are on the subject, when you open Wavelab to Master your mixed down stereo tracks, do you do it in Sonar or outside of Sonar? I Bounce and then save as a WAV file; import to Wavelab and then save the mastered file, maybe burning to CD along the way. I don't see the point in opening it in Sonar...unless I'm missing something (I usually do:rolleyes: ) I suppose if you wanted to apply several fx to a single track it would be better to do that in Wavelab and working within Sonar, but does the affected track save back to the Sonar track from whence it came? I think not?.

You are doing it correctly, Paul. The only time you would call Wavelab from within Sonar is if you wanted to do an edit to a track within the Sonar project.

For ex., Wavelab has a pencil tool that is pretty good for editing out small glitches. If I have a track in a Sonar project that has a glitch, I call-up Wavelab ffom within Sonar, do the edit, and return to Sonar where I load the corrected version (note: since this is a destructive edit, boys and girls, it is wise to clone and archive a copy of the track FIRST).

Other than that, Wavelas should be used as a standalone application.

Duh!! :o

Now I hate being a newbie. :D
I'm sure I'll be a senior member pretty soon by asking so many questions. :D

Anyway, thank you guys. Now I think I know what I will be doing for the rest of the week. If you have any more advices please keep posting. Anything you have to say here is very helpful to me.

Back