Mastering plug-ins

They aren't free, but a lot cheaper than waves look into stuff by:

Voxengo
Kjaerhus (his gold stuff, but the freebies are okay too)
Elemental Audio

There is other stuff too, but I use some of the stuff listed above.

Take Care

Try messing around with Magneto a little bit, its Steinbergs tape simulator. My version tends to make Sonar sluggish, so I get it sounding good and print it. Good for overheads and guitars they need rounded out.
Sounds great hitting the drive just a little bit on a final mix too.

Forgot PSP, they have some nice stuff for mastering too! Some people also like T-racks. A quick web search should give you links.... several of the ones I mentioned....like voxengo etc. have demos.

Take Care

i use
-waves mastering bundle
-sonic maximizer (just a little)
-magneto
-psp vintage warmer

i didnt really like t-racks

I use the Waves Masters Bundle. But I don't call what I do mastering, Just processing. Waves is the best I've found and I've tried Ozone, Dave Brown's plugs, and a number of others on my way up to the $600 or so I reluctantly coughed up for the Waves set.

But it's a night and day difference. When I think of the things I routinely spend 600 bucks on (tires, clothes, TV's, lawn mower, travel) , the Waves bundle was a best value - after my Beyer M160 ribbon mic anyway. Or maybe before it. Yeah, before the mic.

In freeware plugs, try the slim slow slider multiband compressor, Paris EQ, and Blockfish limiter by digital fishphones. All VST stuff. They get a better sound than Ozone IMHO, but nowhere near the Waves bundle.

Good luck and keep experimenting,
Tim

Back