Layla/Sonar2 Question

Shepper

System:

P4 1.6 Gig
512 Memory
60 Gig HD

Echo Layla 24

Various Preamps, Compressors, EQs, etc...

Sonar 2 running on Windoze XP.

Here's the problem I'm having.

Everything seems to be running rather smoothly, except for the fact that I'm eating up a lot of processor power.

I can get about 5 tracks going at once and when I start adding effects to them, the cpu seems to bog down and the music stops. I have played with the buffering and what not, but I can't seem to get it to improve?

Any suggestions? Is it a setting? Is it the Computer? Is it the Layla? Is it the hard drive?

I've thought about adding a second hard drive to record onto (right now, I'm just recording onto another partition) but I wasn't sure that that would really help since it seems the CPU is what is causing the drop out.

Could be the hard drive. What is the RPM speed on your current hard drive? How full is it.

A second 7200 RPM drive might help, but in the interim, maybe try defragging. Also, very important, make sure the drive is running in DMA mode.

Also, try increasing your latency. Move the slider all the way to the right and/or raise the number of buffers. Reprofile the card after doing so.

It's spinning at 7200 and it's not very full at all.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll double check to make sure it's in DMA mode.

Back