how do you preserve precious CPU?

ardy77

I want to add effects, compression, EQ to different pieces of the drum kit and then also to the drumkit as a whole...(in addition, all the other tracks need varying levels of compression, EQ, effects)...is there an easy way to accomplish this without resorting to the time-consuming "freeze track"?

Hm...i'm not very familiar with cakewalk because I'm using Adobe Audition. However, I will give this a try.

If you see something called a "buss", then put all the necessary plug-in effects (compression, EQ, reverb, etc..) in there. Then have the drum tracks output to that buss. Basically, all the tracks sharing that buss will also share the exact effects setting. If you need some minor changes on those tracks that output to the buss, (I hope) on each track there's a simple EQ (Hi, Mid, and Lo) and volume adjustment. Other than that, you need to give that track its own separate FX.

Gosh, I hope that's understandable.

Yes, you can send all pieces of the kit to a bus (set the output of the channel to be the bus, don't just use it as an effects send). Each bus has its own effects bin, like wonderboy guessed. The ability to do this may depend on what package you're using (I'm running Sonar 4)...

You can buss with Cakewalk9 and you can add effects/processors to just that buss to conserve resources.

Thanks for the replies....

but what if the effects vary? For instance, I need different EQ settings for kick, high hat, and snare...but they're all on the same bus with the exact same settings...

Use the per-track fx bin on each track for what you want only on that track, and the bus' fx bin for the common effects.

Back