Home Studio 2004XL - Possibilities ?

LeevisPresley

Hi All
Just a quick question. I just purchased Home Studio 2004XL for basically recording guitar from my Line6 Guitarport. I can do this great, import an MP3 backing track and then record my bits onto it - great!

Looking further ahead, I realise that I can create drum beats/patterns using the session drummer which I am sure to explore soon (I did try but it was a little too hard so I will try harder).

At this point I will have drums and guitar. Is there any way I can do some 'keyboard type stuff' with HS2004XL without actually owning a keyboard. What I mean is, is there a software keyboard available that I can play with to create some riffs using the plug-ins in HS2004XL.

Also, is there anyway to record a guitar part and then speed it up or slow it down. I dont seem to be able to achieve that.

Thanks

Lee

possibilities

I'm assuming that HS 2004 and XL are fairly similar, if they are then the software is already there, it's called EDIROLL VSC. One way to learn more about this go to the help topics and type in synthesizers.... then click DXi. To open the EDIROLL VSC..... from the tool bar click..... INSERT .....DXi SYNTH ..... then EDIROLL. this will get you started. also on cakewalk's web site there is a list of companies who develope plugin software < http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/links.htm>, cakewalk also offers some free plugins for registered users.
If there is a difference between 2004 and XL I'm sure someone will correct me and point you in the right direction.... there are a lot of helpful members who know this stuff much better than I do.
Good Luck :D
Chris Lorenzo

To add keyboards to your mix you either need audio or midi. By audio, I mean recording something like a piano or a synthesizer that generates audio. I am assuming you don't have this. Therefore, you will need to use a midi track to trigger an virtual instrument to get the sounds you want. The virtual instrument is a direct x plug in, or DXi. You can use the Edriol VSc, the Dyad, or others (both freeware and expensive). There are lots of good free VSTi (a different format) available on the internet, but you need the Cakewalk VST->DX wrapper, which I am not sure comes with HS2004.

Your next problem is how to create the midi track. You can either program it yourself using the piano roll or the staff view, but this can sound a bit artificial. The other most common option is to use a keyboard that generates midi messages, ie a midi controller keyboard. I took this option and bought an MAudio Oxygen 8, which is excellent but I wish it had more keys. I would now opt for the Radium 49. Basically I play the keyboard, which doesn't make any noise on its own but triggers the DXi to make the sound I want.

That's how it works.

Home studio 2004 does not suppout VST instruments.......... but you can buy an adapter <http://www.cakewalk.com/support/VSTAdapter/default.asp>

Back