Frustration Copying/Pasting MIDI

guttadaj

Howdy, folks.

I'm trying to do something that's so simple that you'll probably all call me a moron while giving the solution. That's ok! I can take it... I'm thick-skinned! ;) If I can get a solution to this, I'll be happy no matter what you call me. :D

I have a bar of MIDI info (drum track) that I'd like to copy and paste at will. In this case, there's a little behind-the-beat thing going on, so the first hi-hat hit and bass drum hit don't happen on the very first tick of the first beat - they happen around tick 50 or so. When I go to select the whole measure (even turned snap-to-grid on to help), it looks like the whole thing is selected, but then when I go to paste it to a different measure, the thing gobbles up the groove and plops the first hits down right on the first tick.

I hope I've explained this clearly. Can anyone out there tell me what I'm doing wrong? Oh, I'm using SONAR 3 - Studio.

Thanks, :)
-Jeff

Not sure if this is what you're asking but, after you paste, go to Clip Properties and dial in the exact measure, beat and tick where you want the clip.

Just grasping at another opprtunity to be wrong. :)

Thanks for the replies, guys!

So there's not really a way to just select/copy/paste the whole measure (including any leading space)? It seems a bit cumbersome to have to go in and figure out exactly when the first note of a MIDI selection happens so that, after pasting a copied measure of it, you can go in and nudge it over to the right position... I guess I'm just surprised that there isn't an easier way.

Thanks, :)
-Jeff

I'm at work so I can't check this, but when you go to paste the copy there is an "align to measure" checkbox. I'm pretty sure if you select this, it should paste your selection on the measure.

You also want to make sure you have the entire measure selected when you make your copy.

I do this frequently when making a click track. Usually the hits are on the 2 and 4 beat. I don't recall having problems.

If you still have trouble, post back and I'll check it tonight when I get home.

I'm at work so I can't test it, but try this.

Put your cursor on the start of the measure, hit f9.
Put your cursor on the end of the measure, hit f10.

Now the blank space should be part of your selection. Try copy/paste now. Play with the "align to measures" option as dachay2tnr suggested.

Hey, guys.

Thanks for your help. Well, I just tried it, and the darn thing worked without even having to click the "Align to Measure" checkbox. It also worked when I checked that. Now I KNOW that I spent LOTS of time the other day trying to get this to work with no luck. I'm POSITIVE that I had selected the whole measure when I was trying it before, although I thought that it looked like the beginning was not selected after I tried the copy/paste. I dunno what was going on, but I'm glad to see it working now and thankful for the help!

Thanks! :)
-Jeff

Back