Frequency Analysis in Sonar 5 Studio??

thewanderer24

Is there any function in Sonar Studio 5 that if you select some event in an audio track it will spit out a frequency analysis of some kind??

I'm hoping to find some tool like this to help me work me way through some Newb EQ'ing issues I'm having.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check this out when I get home. Just to be clear, is this a VST plugin? Sorry if that is a dumb newb question...

Just ran home for lunch, and installed this.

AWESOME tool. Thanks much. THis is exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, you can ignore my last question about whether it's VST -- it obviously is.

Hey... similar question... I'm not trying to hijack the thread...

Is there a spectrum analysis tool (plug-in or stand-alone) that allows you to compare more than 1 frequency spectrum?

The only one I know of is Har-Bal and it's actually an EQ-- but you can overlap two spectrums... which I really like.

I'd love to find a spectrum analysis tool that would let you compare multiple sources (like 4 or more).

Couldn't you just send all the sources you were interested in comparing to their own bus, and than use the same kind of tool?

Actually, nevermind. I guess than it would be the total instead of showing the individual ones...

Interesting question, though.

thewanderer24 said:
Couldn't you just send all the sources you were interested in comparing to their own bus, and than use the same kind of tool?

Actually, nevermind. I guess than it would be the total instead of showing the individual ones...

Interesting question, though.

Close though. You could actually just open multiple instances of SPAN. I know that it's not all in the same plug-in, but it would still yield the same results.

cawhite12 said:
Close though. You could actually just open multiple instances of SPAN. I know that it's not all in the same plug-in, but it would still yield the same results.
Here is what I'm talking about. It's much more handy to have it all in one window. I'm sure you could do it with a different instances of SPAN or something else and superimpose the graphs in Photoshop or something... but this is so much easier.

The picture I attached really helps my novice ears in figuring out how to make the snare cut through the mix better. The snare is the green line. The red line is from a distorted Fender Strat.

Attachments

• Spectrums.jpg
    Spectrums.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 45
As a full time software engineer and part time wannabe studio engineer, I've gotta say that the SPAN plug-in is one of the best, most useful pieces of freeware I've ever encountered.

For the past year, pretty much everything I recorded has doubled-up tracks (e.g., 2 vocal mics--one close and one farther out for "air", bass running direct & mic'd, different mics on different guitar cabs, etc.). While it's possible to hear the difference between the tracks, there's something nice about being able to "see" the difference as well.

Thanks for sharing!

--B

Scottgman said:
Is there a spectrum analysis tool (plug-in or stand-alone) that allows you to compare more than 1 frequency spectrum?
The EQ in iZotope Ozone lets you save up to 8 "snapshots" that you can overlay. In this screencap, there are three (purple, yellow, and white) along with the grey "6dB reference curve".

Attachments

• Ozone.gif
    Ozone.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 31
DM1 said:
The EQ in iZotope Ozone lets you save up to 8 "snapshots" that you can overlay. In this screencap, there are three (purple, yellow, and white) along with the grey "6dB reference curve".

OK, that is freaking cool!!!

I've played around with Izotope Ozone a little bit but I didn't know it had that feature. I may have to buy it now!

Thanks!!

Synkrotron said:
got SPAN... now what do I do??? :eek :o

apply it as an FX to any track or to the main out bus (MASTER) and it will show you the frequencies that are going through. It's helpful for finding frequencies that are jumping out, but you're just not quite sure which band it's on.

I had a play last night by bringing some stereo mixes I'd previously "finished" into a new sonar project and then used SPAN to look at the curve... fascinating:D

All I need to do now is learn how to use this information hahaha

thanks

andy

Back