Editing Session Drummer Samples

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
I just started using Session Drummer. I managed to get a drum track down for a song that's pretty close to what I want. However, now I want to edit the individual drum parts. So how do I do it?

I have session drummer patched as an FX on a midi track. When I check the piano roll view for that track, nothing is there. Same with the track view - it's completely empty.

Is there a way to get the midi data that's behind Session Drummer to show as an editable midi track? I've checked the online help and the Sonar printed manual, and there's nothing to be found. However, I'm confidant one of you guys will know how to do it :)

from what I know, to have the midi notes shown on the piano roll....
1. you have to highlight the drum track.
2. Then use edit->CW effect->session drummer to launch session drummer.
3. Then design your drum patterns
4. click OK.
5. Then you should be able to see the midi notes.

hope this is clear enough. :)

Thanks Leeking. I found a seperate Session Drummer help file. However like a lot of things in Sonar, it seems to be written for CW PA9 - and things aren't quite the same in Sonar.

In the help file it tells you to go to Console View and click on the FX button. This works fine in PA9 (I still have a copy), but there is no FX button in Sonar's Console View.

Anyway, between the help file and your post, I finally got it figured out. It's actually quite simple once you know how to do it.

First of all you need to highlight the track. This might sound simple, but... When you click on the track header in the middle, the header changes color - so I figured it was highlighted. BUT, you actually need to click on the Track Number. When you do that, the track itself becomes highlighted (i.e., the right pane). Once I did that all I needed to do was to go to Edit -> Apply Midi Effects. Now all the midi data shows in track view, and is completely editable in the Piano Roll View.

I'm still having problems getting the piano keys in Piano Roll View to change to show the drum names - but I'll struggle through that. As you might guess, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Midi, but since I can't play drums...

Thanks much for your help.

Back