drum samples in cakewalk?

Middleman

Professional Amateur
Although it is not as fun as Fruity loops, or as intuitive, Session Drummer in Cakewalk does the same thing and I think it sounds better.

I use Fruity Loops when I want something unusual. For Basic Drum tracks that get to the point quickly I use the session drummer.

Here's my situation. I would like to use multitrack software such as Cakewalk to record guitar, voice, organ and other live instruments. But I would like to use software to generate the drums. I've experimented a bit with Fruityloops and liked the quick and easy interface. Plus I liked that the samples are at your fingertips and easy to use.

Is there any way to use Cakewalk (or any other multitrack app) to play drum samples the way Fruityloops does? I would prefer having one app that can do it all. I know that I can save the Fruitloops files as a wav file and import into Cakewalk. But it seems like this would be a pain to do this whenever I wanted to change the drum pattern in a song.

If one app can't do it all, can I use a sampling app such as Gigasampler with Cakewalk which is triggered by MIDI? Do you think this would work well?

My specs are: Gadgetlabs Wave 824, PIII 600, 128K RAM

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Hi Josh,

As Middleman suggested, Cakewalk Pro Audio comes with a built-in feature called Session Drummer. It allows you to piece together drum parts by selecting from various drum patterns and arranging them into a song.

Session Drummer only creates the MIDI data for your track though, it doesn't come with any drum samples. Instead, you have to use the sounds either in your sound card or some other MIDI device.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk Power!, the first book to deal exclusively with the Cakewalk Pro Audio, Guitar Studio, and Home Studio software products. For more information, a free newsletter, and the chance to win free products, go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Back