Cool plug-ins, anyone?

Bullet Days

I love plug-ins, as most of you here probably do too. I got lots of free plug-ins online and from friends, but despite my collection I don't (think) I have one that will produce the sound I'm looking for. I'm mainly looking for one to add texture to my looped drum tracks. I'm really into the way the band Primal Scream texturize their drum loops. It's like a lo-fi sound with lots of "grainy-ness." One of my friends listened one of their tracks, and he said that they were using an "automatic envelope filter" (the track was "Higher than the sun"). I usually a compressor plug-in by Sonitus (sp?) called "drum destroyer" to sorta achieve that sound. Does anyone know of any plug-ins that might help me achieve that sound? Also, anyone know of any free ones online? Thanks in advance!

Try using a hard limiter on your snare. Drop the threshold to -25 or -30db and crank up the gain. Gives you kind of a ripped sound.

Another thing I do occasionally is run the kick or snare through a guitar amp emulator plug like amplitube. You can get some interesting effects like that

Back