Can't restart HS2004 w/o rebooting

Tillamook

Great Crap Almighty! All of the sudden, if I am using HS with Fruity Loops as a DXi and shutdown HS2004xl, I can't open HS again unless I reboot. No error message, just no response to my click.

I recently tried disabling ACPI mode, a failed experiment, it wouldn't let me start XP except in safe mode, where I promptly reverted back to original settings. Since then, I had to re-download Windows media and fix one other thing that was screwed up.
So, I'm assuming the ACPI experiment is the source of this problem of having to reboot.

I tried deleting FL from the synth rack before shutting down HS, but I still can't restart HS.

I'm afraid I'm going to end up having to reload XP, nice.

Bill

P.S.

Here's part of the instructions I was using for the ACPI experiment:

Although ACPI is designed to allow easy integration of power
management and PCI Bus resources, we have seen numerous cases where disabling ACPI as improved performance and eliminated resource conflicts. Please note that you will need to have all of your device drivers present when doing this, as Windows will re-enumerate your hardware and prompt you for the drivers.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101309

Tillamook said:
I'm afraid I'm going to end up having to reload XP, nice.
Sorry, but it sounds like a fresh installation might be a good idea... :(

After spending five and a half hours clearing off my hard drive, reformatting, and reinstalling everything, guess what???

It didn't fix the problem.

I have found that I can open Task Manager/Processes and "end process" the CWHS.exe file and then start HS w/o rebooting. CWHS is left running after closing HS. Cakewalk does not show in the Applications window of Task Manager, just the Processes window.

Any other ideas for a fix?

That sounds like it is not releasing the audio or midi drivers when you shut the program down. I think I recall having a similar type problem with an SB Live.

Not sure how to go about fixing it though. You might try some things like reinstalling the sound card drivers, or checking the checkbox to share drivers with other programs.

In the case of the SB Live, I *think* I finally fixed it by reinstalling the sound card and not installing all the garbage that comes with the SB Live (audio hq and the rest).

Or maybe someone else has some ideas.

Thanks Dachay. After your post, I started looking at things that were being shared and I ended up discovering that the problem has something to do with the Dyad Dxi Sampler. The bug only occurs when I have Dyad loaded into FL, regardless of whether it is loaded in HS. Edirol and Dreamstation work fine, it's just Dyad that's the problem.

At least I got a lot of guitar practice in while reloading XP today.

Back