Backup - Difficulties & Successes (XL 2.2)

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
Crew,

After the point at which my Project files began to exceed the capacity of CD-R, I purchased an external Hard Drive (USB)...& started to save my Bundle files to that device.

But sometimes, they wouldn't save (& I would receive the error message: Cannot write output file, disk may be full.) At first, I thought it was my version of SONAR, but a friend of mine, also running XL 2.2 on a PC...has had the same trouble.

Tonight, for the heck of it...I attempted to save the Project file (& I was simply then going to transfer the audio files to another folder on the same drive; & map the path later.) When I did, SONAR created an audio folder; & backed up everything (Project & audio) automatically.

I understand this is an option now, as I remember reading something to this effect in the User’s Manual...but I was wondering...

Has anyone else had this difficulty (saving Bundle files)?

If so...what is the cause; & cure?

(& with the option to save Project & audio...what's the need?)

Thanks,

mark4man

In my experience Bundles are unstable, and I wouldn't recommend it. Why there's "so much" errors with bundles I don't know.

The Folder-Per-Project option is the way to go, IMHO.

Have anyone out there read "Sonar 3 power"? I'm wondering if we managed to convince Scott Garrigus that Folder-Per-Project is better than Bundles.

I ran into this same problem. I did a 5 song demo for a band and had it all ion one project since it was recorded straight through this made the mix stage a lot more streamlined. It ended up being a long manual process to get the files backup on to CDs for them.

How big were the bundle files? I think there is a limitation of 4 gb for files in windows, or at least on FAT32 partitions. I'm kind of hazy on that, but I remember someone commenting before that they were having those kind of problems when reaching the 4 gb point.

lykwydchykyn said:
How big were the bundle files? I think there is a limitation of 4 gb for files in windows, or at least on FAT32 partitions. I'm kind of hazy on that, but I remember someone commenting before that they were having those kind of problems when reaching the 4 gb point.

I'm on fat32 and run into it at around 2 gig.
The good news is the the raw data files are only slightly larger than the bun's, but you can also break them up if need be.
Wayne

Back