Audio Driver Error help!

seb

Hey, I'm reasonably new to a lot of this technology/software so bear with me.
Everytime I start up Sonar XL 2.0, I receive a message entitled 'Audio Driver Error'. The message states that my drivers do not support the current audio format. My drivers being, Intel(r) Intergrated Audio 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6. Subsequently, I cannot hear anything on playback. How do I configure Sonar correctly (I have tried most things), or do I need to update my drivers, if so to what?, or will Sonar not work on my PC at all?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Sebastian

I'm not sure I can be much help, so here goes. A couple of questions first.

Have you tried running wave profiler in Sonar? Options-->Audio, it's at the bottom.

Your soundcard, is it an onboard (mobo integrated) soundcard or one you had to install (if so, what kind is it)?

What version of Windows are you running?

Do the drivers come from Windows Installation CD or from the manufacturer?

Vice

P.S. Welcome to the BBS

Sounds like you might have Sonar set for 24 bit operation, but your sound card only supports 16 bit.

Go to Options > Audio > Greneral and check the setting for Audio Driver Bit Depth.

If that's not it, then do you have a second sound card? If so, the possiblity is that one has WDM drivers and the other only MME drivers. Under Otions > Audio > Advanced, try using the MME driver mode.

dachay2tnr, I think that worked. I can now hear stuff on playback. So, for now, I think I'm right. BTW, can you give me an explanation of MME and WDM?
Thankyou both for the help.

seb said:
dachay2tnr, I think that worked. I can now hear stuff on playback. So, for now, I think I'm right. BTW, can you give me an explanation of MME and WDM?
Thankyou both for the help.
Well, maybe I can at a very surface level (cause that's as deep as I get).

WDM and MME are standards that govern the way software communicates with hardware. In this particular case, the way that Sonar communicates with your sound card.

MME (multi media extensions) is older technology, whereby Sonar sends instructions to Windows, and Windows, in turn, sends the instructions to the sound card. Because Windows is in the middle of the communcation path, it is a bit slower.

WDM (Windows Driver Model) is newer technology that allows, to some degree, the software to communicate directly with the hardware. As a result it is faster. In the case of recording software, that translates into lower latency.

However, the ability to sucessfully use WDM drivers depends on a lot of variables, such as the OS, the quality of the drivers supplied with your sound card, the power of your CPU, and blah, blah, blah.

A lot of problems can be resolved by using MME drivers, but the penalty, of course, is higher latency.

Back