ASIO device handling in Sonar 2.2 and 3.0

Qwerty

Anyone tried setting up Sonar 2.2 with multiple ASIO drivers enabled?

Am I right in thinking it can't be done?

Seems like I can drive my Aardvark 2496 with it's ASIO drivers, but as soon as these are enabled, it dims out the ASIO driver selection for my Line6 PODxt. Looks like it is an either-or scenario both can't be enabled in Sonar at the same time.

So -

1. Is this right or some cool configuration boo-boo I have done?
2. Is it a limitation of the sound cards drivers, of Sonar 2.2, of Windows or of the ASIO implementation itself?
3. Will Sonar 3.0 handle ASIO any differently?
4. Do things like Cubase or Nuendo allow multiple ASIO drivers to be set up and configured?
5. And even if I could enable both the sound card and the Line 6 would I then run into timing issues due to the lack of a shared timing source?

Any thoughts, theories or grassy-knoll speculation appreciated...

Have fun........

:) Q.

Qwerty said:

Any thoughts, theories or grassy-knoll speculation appreciated...

Have fun........

I think Oswald had an accomplice. As for the rest, I don't have a clue. :D

I know you can't have a WDM and MME device working at the same time, but you certainly can have multiple WDM devices or multiple MME devices. Doesn't make sense that ASIO would limit you to one.

And I know that under no cirumstances can two programs access the same ASIO-driver at the same time... Could it be a limitation of ASIO?

After all, it was Steinberg that came up with ASIO... :p

moskus said:
After all, it was Steinberg that came up with ASIO... :p

That's OK.......

It could have been Microsoft

FWIW, I sent it off to Cakewalk directly to see what they say. Will let you know if there is an answer amongst the 3.0 release mayhem, lol.....

From the Cakies.....

SONAR only allows you to use one ASIO driver at a time. You should not be using m,ore than one audio card at a time anyway because each card uses its own clock source for synch. Therefore using multiple cards at once would cause synch problems between audio tracks.

Andy Maddock
Cakewalk Technical Support

Re: From the Cakies.....

Qwerty said:
SONAR only allows you to use one ASIO driver at a time. You should not be using m,ore than one audio card at a time anyway because each card uses its own clock source for synch. Therefore using multiple cards at once would cause synch problems between audio tracks.

Andy Maddock
Cakewalk Technical Support

I'd probably have to disagree... I've got an Edirol Da-2496, you can run up to 4 of them in the one computer.. they have the options of internal clock or external clock and from what it looks like are all controlled from the one ASIO panel...

Half way through writing this I realised that the cards would be using the same driver... different cards would need more than one driver, so I'll shut up now..

Porter

As long as the drivers are built to use more than one card, then you're okay. M-Audio cards support this for example.

But you can't install to SB Live!'s in you computer. They won't even share the same MME-driver... ;)

Back