HD24XR won't mount 500gb Western Digital HDD

gandalf_grey91

I'm a newbie and I need some help/advice. I have a HD24XR that has been working with a pair of 120gb HDDs, one seagate and the other western digital.
I have tried to upgrade the western digital 120gb with a 500gb western digital but it will not mount. Simply gives a strange message about checking jumpers. I know others must have experience with this problem. Can anyone explain why it occurs? And how to work around to add large HDDs?

I'm a newbie and I need some help/advice. I have a HD24XR that has been working with a pair of 120gb HDDs, one seagate and the other western digital.
I have tried to upgrade the western digital 120gb with a 500gb western digital but it will not mount. Simply gives a strange message about checking jumpers. I know others must have experience with this problem. Can anyone explain why it occurs? And how to work around to add large HDDs?

Make certain the new drive is set as a master and not "cable select." Verify that it's a PATA rather than a SATA drive.

Check the database over at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/?yguid=521206 I vaguely recall that there is a mod to the drive bay that allows bigger drives but I'm not 100% sure.

When I say bigger I mean capacity not physical size.

But Thank you, I signed up and downloaded the drive_compatability.txt text file and guess what! The WD5000AAKB drive I got is listed as incompatible.
That's that, I guess!

Many thanks for the help, RRuskin.

When I say bigger I mean capacity not physical size.

That's what I meant as well.

.............I signed up and downloaded the drive_compatability.txt text file and guess what! The WD5000AAKB drive I got is listed as incompatible.
That's that, I guess!

Not necessarily. Dig deeper into the message archive and you might find the mod I was talking about. It has to do with adding another capacitor to the drive bay circuit board. The problem, as I recall has to do with the drive needing more power than the early stock circuit is able to deliver. I can tell you that Alesis will be of little to no help with this info.

I see what you mean. But I can't find any details about the mod other than a thread talking about the theory or how they can't find the photos. Most of the photos section is giving me a "Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999." error. From reading the thread, and without photos, I can't work out if the two capacitor bit they are discussing is on the caddys or on the drive pcbs inside the HD24. Either way it may be more sensible to source some sata ViPower caddys and mod those instead. Thanks again for explaining.

I see what you mean. But I can't find any details about the mod other than a thread talking about the theory or how they can't find the photos. Most of the photos section is giving me a "Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999." error. From reading the thread, and without photos, I can't work out if the two capacitor bit they are discussing is on the caddys or on the drive pcbs inside the HD24. Either way it may be more sensible to source some sata ViPower caddys and mod those instead. Thanks again for explaining.
If you're an HD24 owner, the Yahoo forum that Rick pointed out is definitely one that you'll want to belong to. There's a wealth of HD24-related discussion, including disk drive compatibility and efforts to make SATA drives work with the HD24.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/

I've done the capacitor mod to my HD24, but I don't know whether or not it will help with your drive. My biggest HD24 PATA drive is only 250GB. It works fine, but it worked before the mod as well.

Back