Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HD24 Hard Drives

Thanks

Angry HD24 Hard Drives

Sign in to disable this ad
    I decided to replace the 2 drives in my HD24. They were 30gb Fujitsu's and I decided to replace them with 2 off 80gb Hitachi's to give me more room before I have to start deleting songs. However when I tried to format the drives both of them have failed at around the 70% region and now they will not work at all even when I try to format them in my PC.

I think it is unlikely that both drives were faulty so could it be a clash of HD24 and the these particular drives, Interesting.

Tony

P.S, Drives are Hitachi 13G0310 Deskstar 80GB

Thanks
    Use Western Digital (7200 RPM) Hard Drives.

Thanks
    Are you sure you have the jumpers in the right place. I have had this happen and that was the problem.

Mike

Thanks
    I went with Seagate for my first add-on drive and I never looked back. I'd check the jumpers as previously mentioned. Could it be you lucked out and bought faulty drives... I hope that's not the case. But I suppose it could happen.

Chris

Thanks
    The jumpers were fine (I build custom computers as a hobby to help with the cash).
    I am now a bit worried about letting the HD24 format the new drives as i think that this could have caused the problem!!

Will let you all know how I get on.

Tony

Thanks
    I use Seagate Barracuda.

Thanks
    It's the jumpers on the drive (Master/Slave).

I've been building comps for 14 years - never had a problem. Yet when I went to just add a HD to the extra caddy I kept getting the same problem - look like it was loading, get to about 70% - and just stop. It was rather frustrating. It took several jumper setting trys before it completed the set-up/format correctly. Now it works like a charm

Pop the drive back out, try the jumper in a different location. You've got a 25% chance of success (Slave/Master/CS/none at all), so within 4 trys you should have it.

Good luck!

-Krag

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kragbax
    It's the jumpers on the drive (Master/Slave).

Good luck!

-Krag
    No, one of the drives now makes a loud clicking noise as soon as it is powered up. As I said the other drive is not recognised even in a computer now , it is NOT the jumpers.

Tony

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkee
    No, one of the drives now makes a loud clicking noise as soon as it is powered up. As I said the other drive is not recognised even in a computer now , it is NOT the jumpers.

Tony
    Well the loud clicking noise wasn't mentioned before. That can definitely be a problem. But I seriously doubt it would be caused by the HD24.

What you initially described:

Quote Originally Posted by wilkee
    However when I tried to format the drives both of them have failed at around the 70%
    is exactly the problem I had (and apparently Mikeboy as well) until I got the jumper in the right place. And it wasn't where I thought it should go from a computer building standpoint. I was so frustrated I almost took the drive out and broke it myself!. However, after a few tries (with the jumper in different locations each time) I got past the 70% completed during my format and it's worked perfectly since.

What you are now describing sounds like a hard drive failure. Had that happen to me a few times on my work box.

-Krag

Thanks
    I will tell you what happened and what to do, I have used a hd24 for somt time now.

The HD is having a disk read error in a PC, I am correct? I think I am, the head is damaged for one of these 3 reasons.

1. Factory defect
    2. Old Age or Normal wear overtime.
    3. you pulled /or someone did\ the drive out while it was running.

here is what you should do.

#1 get a new HD.
    #2 If what was on your HD was important, you need to send it to the maker, and they can save your information. DO NOT FREEZE THE HD, people say to freeze the HD to save the information for extended time, the problem with that is after it starts to thaw you only have about an hour window to get the info.
    Let them handle it. and let me warn you, SOME things WILL be lost, when you have a head error such as you have. that means there is disk damage.
    just be ready to flip your lid.

Derek, (dont kill the messenger )

Thread Information